VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone with a jetta who said he runs Jet-A in it and works fine. He works in maintenance at an airpport and they throw out any fuel that is bad. Can I run it in my car if it is bad for airplanes?

D

·
0 Posts
It's not used in the planes because of water or something else, they empty the tank, you can use it in your car. Just make sure to add power service, standyne, or someother diesel treatment. You have to increase the lubricity for your TDI. And you might want to filter it and make sure there's no bacterial/mold growth.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Still, I would think that if you got it for free, the cost of adding plenty of fuel conditioner in it would save money.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I know someone with a jetta who said he runs Jet-A in it and works fine. He works in maintenance at an airport and they throw out any fuel that is bad. Can I run it in my car if it is bad for airplanes?
The fuel is consider bad because once it is removed from the A/C it cannot be reused unless it was removed by a truck with a filter system.
Tho even after defueling there is still fuel on board that cannot be removed by the truck.
On are A/C I think there is still 50lbs left.
We have to drain are tanks either due to a bad fuel sending unit, 24A (inspecting around fuel access panels for cracks) 60mo (collector tank check) or to repair a leak.

I just started running some Jet-A 50/50 in my Jetta. Adding about half qt oil for every 5gal.
So far still running good and i can almost swear it had little more power. At least going up hill i noticed a difference!

When i worked for a contractor we had a Isuzu bread box van Diesel. We ran nothing but Jet-A with little oil added to it. That thing still running lol wont die.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
It's also considered tax evasion for running untaxed fuel on the road in your car. Please don't encourage/condone illegal behavior on the boards here.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Gotta be kidding me WTF?

You had better let me take & discard that untaxed fuel for you...I just hate it when something is free & not taxed :panic:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I work at an airport as a fueler and we have to sump 11 gal. every day just to check for water. This fuel is dumped in a tank and then we pay someone to pump it out and dispose of it there is nothing wromg with it, its just that once you take out of a truck you can't put it back in the truck without filtering it. if youtake out of a plane you cannot use it again for fear of contamination.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I bought my jetta for the sole purpose of using fuel I had been discarding for years. I have to drain about 1/2 gallon each day. Not because the fuel is dirty, but because draining the fuel from the lowest part of the aircraft tanks prevents accumulaion of sediment and water and verifies that the last time the aircraft was fueled, the fuel was clean. Essentially, if taken every day, a crystal clean sample is ensured every day. Compare this to your car - I would be willing to bet that your car probably has a fair accumulation of rust. particulates, and water rolling around in the lowest part of your tank. Eventually it clogs your fuel filter and makes your car run a bit rough until you change it. We in aviation prefer that only clean fuel goes through our filters and that we change aircraft filters due to scheduled maintenance. Waiting for it to run rough is not our option.

That said, Jet A, does not have as many BTU's as #2 diesel, and performance will more closely match what can be expected when you switch to #1 diesel in the winter. Personally, I have a 45 mile each way commute so I still have to buy plenty of heavily taxed diesel at the pump. The ratios I use it in negate the need for additives for lubricity. Supplementing with waste jet A, for me, merely brings my cost per mile way down. Any stories about someones car turning into a performance rocket by fueling with Jet fuel are just stories, if anything, expect power and mileage to decrease slightly on Jet A.

As far as the taxes go, Aviation fuel is taxed even heavier than automotive fuel. Gotta keep the airports and FAA going. It's all Uncle Sam's money to me. I'll worry about it when the electric car guys start helping to maintain the roads, for now they roll for free, but then they also pay taxes on their electricity that go towards maintaining the electrical grid. It's all taxed, no matter what you do, the government gets their cut. My employer paid taxes at the point of sale, I'm just utilizing what they are throwing away, all the while saving them the time and expense of disposing of it in other ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts