VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I have a 2018 golf GT TDI and it doesn't let me know when my washer fluid is low - which is a nightnmare on long journeys in winter!

When I was in for a re-map, I asked the guy if he could find anything in the system that was showing faults or that it was off or something and there was nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
This is a common problem. In my experience Rain-X brand washer fluid causes a sludge build up inside the washer tank that prevents the conduction needed for the sensor to pick up the fluid level. Don’t get me wrong. The Orange Rain-X juice in winter is awesome! The draw back is replacing this sensor. Replaced 6 maybe 7 in 300K+ miles. About every 2-3 years I have to remove the sensor, clean it (sometimes cleaning does work) or replace it.
This doesn’t happen near as often with “blue” washer fluid.
This isn’t a float type sensor. It’s capacitance style. Also note that this sensor is very close to the bottom of the washer tank. Meaning a full tank of fluid will all come out when sensor removed. (Have a new jug of washer fluid on hand)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a tremendously thorough answer, thanks so much! I actually use Rain-X washer fluid, too!

Do you find it's easy enough to get in there and sort yourself then? Beyond changing headlight bulbs I've not done an awful lot of car tinkering myself!

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I can access the washer sensor from behind the fog light cover. The washer level sensor connector can be a pain to remove without breaking it so it pays to be patient here. The washer sensor is held in the tank by a rubber grommet. It can be hard to remove the old sensor without damaging it, especially if the rubber is over 5 years old. So I would plan to replace the sensor and rubber grommet. If you can get it out without breaking it. Next, you will see this gelatinous sludge. (Happens with all Rain-X colors). You don’t want that crud in the washer tank. So, Rinse it all out with plain water. Clean the sensor. Do not scrape it clean! Just clean water and a nylon brush. You can test the old sensor by putting some of that New jug of washer fluid in a cup and reconnect it, keeping the sensor in fluid. Light go out?
Yes- great! Pop that sensor back in, with a new grommet. Work that grommet in with steady pressure and wiggle and it should pop in place nicely.
No? Put that new sensor on and install it just the same!
I have tried using silicon grease to make things easier. It actually allowed the larger size of the sensor to push it out and leak all the fluid out. Worked too good, I guess? If it’s real difficult to install the sensor, use PPE gloves and run washer fluid all over the grommet and sensor. It is easier to keep the new grommet on the sensor and install that assembly into the tank.
If you were to install the grommet in the tank, then push the sensor into the grommet, the grommet can pop into the tank, not attached to the sensor. So avoid that too!
good luck!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
If you can pull the rubber drain plug, attached by a beaded chain, out of a bathtub drain, you can do this job! (y)(y):D
Thanks and Happy Holliday to you and Yours!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts