VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Well, my complaint would be that it is a Chevy which have always been a mediocre car at best. The other thing is that something like 2% of the Cruze sold are Diesel, so good luck finding a Chevy mechanic that can work on the Cruze engine without destroying it.

Even with the VW TDI's, some dealers can completely FUBAR a timing belt job, so ya, I would say proficient Cruze diesel mechanics are as rare as hens teeth.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Even with the VW TDI's, some dealers can completely FUBAR a timing belt job, so ya, I would say proficient Cruze diesel mechanics are as rare as hens teeth.
I would think that any VW dealer that could FUBAR a timing belt replacement would be equally adept at screwing up a timing belt on a gasser.

Seriously, it's not rocket science. You just have to be really careful to get everything back in the right spots.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Probably more of a nod to how terrible some dealer mechanics can be regardless of car brand. Granted, a gasser T/B has no adjustability and is harder to get wrong than the T/B on a TDI.

I think the root problem is something called flat rate. It seems that the fast and sloppy mechanics are rewarded while the mechanics that do quality work are penalized.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I think the root problem is something called flat rate. It seems that the fast and sloppy mechanics are rewarded while the mechanics that do quality work are penalized.
Having spent a few years around mechanics and repair shops, I don't think flat-rate is a big issue.

A poor mechanic will do anything to beat flat-rate, including cut corners that ought not to be cut.

A good mechanic will do everything he can to do quality work, and still beat flat-rate.

It's the sloppy part that's bad, not the fast (or slow) part.

My favorite car ever was an early model Corvair. Before 1955, Chevrolet didn't produce anything as radical as a V-8. In 1960 they introduced a horizontally-opposed air-cooled 6, and many mechanics had trouble wrapping their heads around something that radical.

Not sure how the average dealership mechanic reacts to the Cruze TD.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
a 2.8L Duramax turbo diesel Colorado mid-size truck is coming out later this year. Perhaps, over time, the dealerships will get better with the turbo diesels...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm very pleased with my 2014 Cruze Diesel. I recently went from Burlington, VT, to La Plata, MD, and back. I averaged 52.2 mpg. The car was very smooth and quiet. The leather seats were comfortable. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, is everyone pretty happy with theirs?
I considered one before buying my "d".The main reason I went with the "d" is that I had more money available than was required for the Cruze and the "d" offered features which the Cruze didn't.I was,however,quite surprised by the test drive...pleasantly so.And I was reassured to see that both the engine *and* transmission were made in Germany.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 2014 CTD (Cruze Turbo Diesel) new on June 2, 2014 and as of today I have 32650 miles on it. I am averaging 750 miles per tank. Never been in service except for routine maint. like oil changes and stuff... sorry was in once for a recall forgot about that. I love it, got it because I commute 82 miles round trip daily and right now due to the low cost of fuel in my area its about $35 a week to fill it ( I fill every sunday whether I need it or not). I looked at the VW TDI and was way more impressed with the CTD. Also the VW has a bigger fuel tank but gets less miles per gallon... that was a deciding factor to go with the CTD... Good luck buy a CTD

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
The cruze 2.0 TD that I test drove shifted fine and down shifted as the vehicle slowed. I was very pleased with it. That Colorado has me thinking for sure...but I love the handling of my Golf.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably more of a nod to how terrible some dealer mechanics can be regardless of car brand. Granted, a gasser T/B has no adjustability and is harder to get wrong than the T/B on a TDI.

I see that the sloppy mechanic will get penalized in the end when the customer returns.
Either with a broken engine or not running properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a Cruze Diesel since Dec 2014. I love mine, by best 25 mile average so far has been 62.8mpg my 250 mile and 500 mile averages are lower because half my daily driving is on 2 lane roads with frequent stops.

I have the Trifecta Tune on mine, noticeable increase in power, and transmission shifting profile updated. The car is a VERY smooth and refined feeling car now with more than enough power to drive confidently without having to floor the go pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tonight I drove 60+ miles 95% highway miles cruise set for 60 mph except for a few toll booths I have to slow down or risk an EZ pass not being read, NO traffic, averaged 50.8 mpg in Northern Virginia with winter blend fuel where its really not flat like the midwest or the coast. But mileage is very dependent on your driving conditions.

Never drove or owned a VW TDi to compare it to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I highly doubt that...the EPA doesn't do ANYTHING in favor of the USA...they cater exclusively to the Environazi's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Despite Dieselgate, there's still no comparison between American and German engineering, and one can feel it on a simple test drive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts