VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Mission: Complete the return leg to work from home (325miles)
Weather: Rainy
Mood: Good
Horoscope: Favorable, with encouragement to take risks.
Driving speed: Slow due to weather.

So I fill the car up at my usual diesel spot and hit the road. Around mile 140 (Worcester, Mass) I gaze at my speedo and behold a flashing glow plug light, a steady particulate filter light and a steady cat converter light. I turn down the stereo and listen and feel. Nothing. I push down on the gas and it feels normal.
A few miles later im at a rest stop on the Mass pike. I check the car over and everything looks good. I read the manual and find that the flashing glow plug should indicate a misfire and that the other two lights indicate the obvious issues. I fire the car up and the misfire indication is now gone but the other two lights are still steady.
I had noticed at mile 80 my digital fuel gauge had moved and had thought it was "unusually early". I decided to top off the car to put some fresh fuel in it jik I had gotten a bad tank at home. When I filled it up I was shocked to find my mileage was a horrid 33 mpg dispite the fact that I was driving in a downpour 55-60. My worst tank ever has been 38, driving just below felony reckless driving speed for 5 hours.I looked at my chrome exhaust pipes and they were free of soot.
The book tells you to slow down and head to the nearest dealer and then on the next page it indicates to drive at 45 mph for 15 minutes and try to clean out the filter. Being Sunday I opt for the later.
So I drive the cycle, nothing. Another 140 miles later (280 trip) I look down and I now have only the cat light illuminated. Feeling hopeful yet a bit concerned about fuel quality and my recent poor milelage I decide to pull off again and check my consumption. I fill up and see what I want, 50.91 MPG.
So I arrive in NJ with the cat light still on and hoping that after it cools down it may be clear in the AM.
I recently had the converter box recall done and assume they powered the car down to do the work. I also have a ton of mileage on the car already. I took delivery on 5 January and already have 12500 on it, all steady steaming on the highway.
Anyone have a take on this? I have a hard time believing the car was missing and I didn't feel it or that either of the filter or cat have problems as I usually move at a brisk pace for long, steady periods of time.
V/r, Matt :eek

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If there are any VW techs online in Northern Jersey let me know. If that light isn't clear in the AM it needs to go somewhere to get looked at....just don't know where yet. Matt

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
This is just a total guess, but perhaps it was stuck in DPF regen mode and was dumping fuel which would explain the low mpg. See the DPF FAQ article for some tech info on the system. Once you get any error codes, please share them.

A flashing glow plug light can mean many things but it's normally serious.

On the bright side, NJ has really cheap fuel. The attendants will freak out if you try to touch the fuel pumps though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading last night that is the conclusion I came to also. It would certainly make sense. Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it would appear that the issue is a software flash and that there isn't anything physically wrong with the components. Apparently there is a TSB out there but my car doesn't fall into the VIN range. They called tech. and the VW folks indicated to have them apply the flash as it is symptomatic of the issue and that they are already considering expanding the VIN range.
So they applied the flash which includes some stuff to cover "driveability issues". I must say that I didn't notice the DSG bucking in traffic on the way back and that annoying dead spot in the drive by wire go pedal.
Time will tell.
Can I plug the dealer? Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was fortunate enough to find 3 County VW out of Lyndhurst Township in NJ. Much to my surprise they invited me right over and got the car in the bay in 40 minutes and back to me in another hour. All of this on a Monday, without an appointment just 20 miles outside of NYC.
Noteworthy is the fact that they are "only" a VW dealer. Something I look for as I think the technical/mechanical service you get is usually better/broader. I even managed to see a shelf full of 5/30W Castrol synthetic GTX 507 oil!
If you like personalized service I would try them. Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts