VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, I am looking to buy vcds full version. Will I be able to change timing with it on my BEW 1.9 GLS jetta? IQ values change? Do I just buy cables and download software for free or how that goes if someone can explain to me. Where do I go to buy complete kit?

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
Hi to all, I am looking to buy vcds full version. Will I be able to change timing with it on my BEW 1.9 GLS jetta? IQ values change? Do I just buy cables and download software for free or how that goes if someone can explain to me. Where do I go to buy complete kit?

Thank you in advance!
The older VAG-COM\VCDS is better as you can use it on any compatible VAG vehicle. The new VCDS you have to buy different versions a 3 VIN or 10 VIN so you will be stuck on using it on other vehicles.

You can search fleabay for genuine VCDS cables but the only one I've seen wanted the same price as a new cable. I wouldn't advice you get a cheap Chinese cloned cable as they are troublesome and a lot of good forums won't let you post questions about them.

VCDS won't help you change a timing belt only the IQ values. Once you have a genuine cable the software is free to download and install regularly. The Ross-Tech forum is good if you have problems but make you register the cable online before joining and posting. If you have a pirate cable you will be black flagged and banned.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The older VAG-COM\VCDS is better as you can use it on any compatible VAG vehicle. The new VCDS you have to buy different versions a 3 VIN or 10 VIN so you will be stuck on using it on other vehicles.

You can search fleabay for genuine VCDS cables but the only one I've seen wanted the same price as a new cable. I wouldn't advice you get a cheap Chinese cloned cable as they are troublesome and a lot of good forums won't let you post questions about them.

VCDS won't help you change a timing belt only the IQ values. Once you have a genuine cable the software is free to download and install regularly. The Ross-Tech forum is good if you have problems but make you register the cable online before joining and posting. If you have a pirate cable you will be black flagged and banned.
Hi Keithuk, would you please tell me the cable part number that I need to get for that older version that you recommend and what software version I will need to download with that?

Thank you in advance!
al

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
My cable doesn't have a part number it only shows the short serial. When you VCDS Dongle Registration when its been plugged into a vehicle you look at About that will show the long serial. You copy and paste that into the registration. They used to have a certificate number as the reg form shows. I asked Uwe about this not every retailer gives one.

There have been a few cables on here, there was one free if you collect it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
One does find the occasional authentic Ross-Tech VCDS cable on eBay... As always, caveat emptor...

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
When I've searched fleabay there has only been 1 genuine Hex Can cable and they were asking the same price as Ross-Tech. I sent his a message about this they said people will buy anything of here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recently purchased my VCDS cable from Ross-Tech. IDParts.com has the Ross-Tech cables as they are authorized by Ross-Tech to sell them. Once you have the cable you go to Ross-Tech to register it and download the software There are several options and prices... HEX CAN, Mobile/Wi Fi three cars license, ten or unlimited depending on what you want to do. 200 bucks for mine and three car/VIN number limit. Willing to share mine in WA State area if we can work out details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts