VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two non-diesel mechanics telling me that my Turbo is shot and seriously leaking oil. They say that the engine should be cleaned so that future leaks can be detected. Volkswagen dealer is telling me that to clean the engine which is 6 years old, will cause more problems with the engine than it will solve. They say that the turbo is fine, yet the area around the turbo is oil soaked. The engine is loud, has had the tensioner replaced, and has remained loud. Who should I listen to about having the engine cleaned. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You can clean the engine fine I would think and I can't remember if it's on here but I've just seen a thread or faq about cleaning the tdi engine, it's hard to say your turbo is shot without the right info though, have you tried having a look inside the boost pipes at all? It might be a good idea to take off the bottom hose from the inter cooler to the inlet manifold and see if there's alot of oil in it. As for the noise you could take off the serpintine belt and start the car, if the noise goes away then it's one of the pulleys or alternator bearing or something and if the noise remains then it's more likely something to do with the engine.:) welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The TDI engine naturally seeps a little bit of oil and there are some places like the CCV hose that will leak a little oil, see here for more details http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/air-filter-engine-tdi.htm , this spot loves to leak oil

Why do they say your turbo is shot? Oil mist from the CCV naturally settles at the low spots, which as you can see from the picture, like the turbo.

If you want to wash, disconnect the battery, cover the alternator and air hose inlet if you removed that hose, and blow dry everything when done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts