VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew the 2011 VW Jetta TDI had ABS sensor based TPMS but I also had confirmation that the TPMS sensors on the Golf TDI and Sportwagen TDI are gradually being removed and replaced with the ABS based system. The ABS TPMS system isn't as accurate but because there are no sensors, it never needs sensor replacement. The sensors cost about $80/each and can last 5-8 years depending on use.

The ABS based system tire pressure value is set with a system reset button. When it detects that one wheel has a smaller rotating diameter, it assumes it's flat. The sensor based system directly measures the pressure and temperature and has a set air pressure value. It's possible to adjust it as shown in this writeup: Flashing TPMS sensor problem and TPMS replacement on VW Golf, Sportwagen, or Jetta.

This info has been added to the Golf buying guide and Sportwagen buying guides.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I just saw a thread on that at tdiclub.com.

Damn, you guys are fast. :D

I saw that someone that went from a 2010 to a 2011 in a dealer swap into a new car, like I did, had previously posted that he noticed that the tire valve stems were different.

He has a Golf. I have a JSW, and mine are different, too.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
Yes I have the Flat Tyre Indicator for £35 and it works a treat. I've had the light come on twice since I had it. The first time I got out and did a visual check they all looked ok. I got home and checked the pressures and 3 were as 37psi and 1 was 33psi. I topped it up and pressed the Set button in the glovebox and thats it. That was 5 or 6 weeks ago, it came on again a couple of days ago I checked the pressures and 1 was 30psi this time. I checked all around the tyre and can't see anything protruding so its probably the rim seal. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
So i wonder if Canadian models will get this future now? Also if there are no sensors then i can swap from winter to summer set of tires without needing a different set.

I presonally like the idea. I dont need to know what the exact psi is on each wheel, i just need to know if they are flat or not so this is a great idea!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts