VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found your site in researching the Touareg TDI and found this article from jalopnik: The hybrid is less effient than the TDI?

http://jalopnik.com/5469470/oh-good-grief-2011-vw-touareg-hybrid-is-less-efficient-than-the-diesel

I cut and pasted the article below:

Plan for German world domination 2.0: Ze silly Yankees vill not buy our clean, efficient diesels. So! Ve vill give them what they vant! A less fuel-efficient 2011 VW Touareg Hybrid. Hail mindless consumerism

So the new 2011 VW Touareg Hybrid that the maker of people's cars is so proud of? 28.68 MPG combined. The 2011 VW Touareg V6 TDI? 31.78 MPG combined. Honestly, is our country that stupid that the krauts think they can get away with this?

Being fair to the hybrid, it can travel up to 31 MPH in all-electric mode, but there's no indication of what it's all-electric range will be. Also, in what VW is calling a "Quantum Leap!" the base Touareg is now 459 Lbs lighter than the model it replaces. We'll go ahead and assume the battery pack in the Hybrid eliminates that advantage. Oh and all the engines now come with 8-speed autos designed, like all other 8-speed autos, to ensure that you're always in the wrong gear and the transmission will need to kick down at least 3 gears to deliver meaningful acceleration. You vill salute progress, you vill!

A lot of that weight's been shed by dropping the locking diff, but don't worry mythical VW off-road enthusiast, there's a "Terrain Tech Packet" with locking center and rear diffs, and a button to select low range gears.

Now here's something we won't make fun of: the base V6 engine comes equipped with stop/start for a practical boost in real-world city fuel economy. This won't show up in EPA figures because the fascist EPA refuses to account for stop/start in its calculations, but volks' engine will turn off at stoplights, saving volks fuel.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
LOl... great article. I saw the VW Touareg Hybrid at the NYC auto show last spring. It actually uses the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid drive system (or the other way around). At this time, the truth is that TDI trounces hybrids for SUVs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does this mean they're planning a hybrid diesel? ;) Why aren't 18 wheelers hybrid diesels like trains? I understand that you need to accelerate much faster than a train but it could have an inline hybrid motor like the Touareg. Then the diesel engine just powers the electric motor. They do mostly highway anyways so they don't need to speed up and slow down as often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No one will do Hybrid Diesel because it's too expensive. The tech for clean diesel and hybrid both cost about the same and both are huge add on to the base price of a cheapo gas engine.

So if you wanted diesel hybrid, you would be looking at not just another $5k for the diesel OR hybrid add on, you would be looking at another $10k for both. Most manufacturers figure there is not enough of a market for that.

FWIW, hybrid usually does best in cities. Look at the Prius. Diesel will always get better hwy mileage though because it's more efficient. Look at the Jetta TDI SportVagen.

So it really depends on what kind of driving you do and which option you might choose. Me? I do mostly highway, so a hybrid would lose all of it's efficiency for me because I would always be running off that underpowered gas engine.

Also, it's not that the EPA WON'T take in to account start/stop. They just haven't figured out how to take it in to account in such a way that is reasonable to consumers. That's what those ratings are for after all... consumers.

Regarding the transmission, the more gears, the better the mileage (generally speaking). More options available to you at a given cruising speed. If VW/Porsche/Audi puts a DSG in to the Touareg, then hoorah. Great mileage and great performance. I have one in my GTI and aside from the early problems they had, they are great transmissions.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts