VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
VW TDI PD AJM, white smoke on cold start! Nothing helped so far. !!! SOLVED !!!!

Hello! After so many forums read and so many things tried I still have a small problem when cold starting my TDI PD engine. The engine is and 1999 AJM TDI PD in a VW Passat and 180000km on it.

When the temperature drops below 20 dregrees Celsius, the engine produces an amount of smoke, then runs a bit strange. You can see it on the video I made this morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5GWHDm36bc. This dissapears after a few seconds and then it runs perfect. The fuel consumption is about 5.7l/100km combined. I have a normal, sometimes a bit sporty driving style :) Rev the engine higher, so it does not get clogged by the EGR exhausts. All filters and oil where changed a month ago.

I´ve checked and changed so far the coolant temp sensor, all glow plugs, checked the glow plugs wires and relaly - all OK, glow period - OK, engine timing - was about -2.7, adjusted in a local garage to +0.6, timing belt has been changed only about 17000km ago. I also cleaned the whole intake manifold and EGR, checked for leaks in the intake system, installed new MAF because the old one died 2 weeks ago. Also cleaned and regreased the starter (now it starts much better), also I´ve checked the vacuum lines and there does not seem to be a problem or leak. Also I´ve changed the fuel pump - solved my problem with long starting after the car has been left for a few hours. Also I checked all the fuel injectors in VAG COM and when going to measuring block 013, all the injectors are in an -0,05mg/str limit, but mostly even 0 limit! I also used 2 bottles of this http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/de_5170.html?OpenDocument&land=DE directly into the fuel filter and then changed the filter. Since then the engine runs more smooth and quiter.

A year ago I also modified the CCV, so now it runs to an oil separator, the oil from the separator runs into a bottle and the air runs back to where the original one was connected. Since then, there´s a lot less oil in the intake :)

May these symptoms be caused by too high injection quantity? Can it be adjusted on a PD engine in VAG COM?

Well it´s a diesel and it´s quite old and maybe I want it to run too perfect, but maybe somebody can help me :) Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
All of the PD's I've had had a little puff of smoke on cold start but not as much as yours. Are you revving the engine up and down or is doing it by itself?

RE: injection quantity, no, not without a tune. The old cars could adjust through VCDS.

You've already done what I would have suggested, when you checked the intake system, did you visually inspect or do a pressure test? If you did only visual check, do a boost leak test to know for sure. You've already cleaned out the injectors so the only thing left is injector wear.

And of course, since it's a PD engine, have you checked for camshaft wear? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm It normally makes more of a puffing-chugging noise though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have checked the intake for leaks visually and with vag com logging while driving ... from about 2500 to nearly maximum revs uphills, the intake pressure is nearly the same as the values suggested by vag com. I can post the tables from vag com also if you want to see them. Made a graph from them and they look quite well.

The revving is done by me from about 1 min of the video. I can post some pictures from the camshaft I made when I checked the wirings of the injectors.

When I bought the car I checked also the fuel tank and its´ walls were covered with black something ... looked like oil!!! I do not know where it came from or what it was realy. Since I cleaned it and put the Liqui Moly diesel cleaner into the tank, all the lines are clean. I suspect that this "oil" stayed in the injectors and causes this smoke on cold start. I guess I´ll buy another bottles of the cleaner and connect the fuel lines to the cleaner bottle. Then start it rev a bit and let it settle for a while, then proceed again. I guess this could clean the injectors.

I make another video of the cold start, so you can hear actually what the engine does. Tomorrow may be a good day since it´ colder again.

One thing that is REALY STRANGE is the sound of the exhaust pipe and turbo in it. Wonder if this is normal? On a petrol turbo engine I had before I did not even notice the turbo was there. Can this be something wrong with the catalytic converter or the exhaust? So that the noise from the turbo goes out of the pipe.

Well and the last thing I checked is the turbo itself. No significant play in the turbine, VGT goes up and down as it should, checked it also visualy when engine was running....

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Maybe the previous owner punched out the cat? It is on the loud side but it could also be things like exhaust leak from a hole or loose clamp. Things like removing the cold air intake will also make the turbo sound louder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well time to check more things, I´ll let you know if I find something. About the CAT. It´s somehow strange, because the emissions are OK and withing the ranges. This was tested at the emissions test we have every 2 years. The valve seals are another thing I assign the smoke to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After checking injectors and everything else, another reason occured for the smoke. There´s a lot oil in the turbocharger hose under the cooler and in the intercooler. Cleaned both of them this weekend and the smoke dissapeared :) This may be because of the CCV on VW connected directly to turbo intake or a faulty turbo am I right? If the smoke appears again and there´s oil again, it should be the turbo, since the CCV now has an oil separator.

So for all of you who search for solution of the problem : check the intake for oil maybe and if it helps, then it is this kind of problem. Try to clean it, put a oil separator to the CCV and check the turbo. Also the iddle and misfire was caused by the quantity of oil that was in the intake. THANK´S FOR HELP!

·
Registered
1 Posts
turbo charger

hello to all. i think your problem is the turbo charger i had the same problem i by a new turbo installed it and the problem was overf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it´s not the turbo. After operating a month, and running 2000km now with the CCV oil separator, the intake is absolutely clean and even dry! Wondering where the oil came from? No, not the turbo, the damn CCV connected directly to the intake. How stupid the people from VW are sometimes.... (yep, all others have oil separators for years in the CCV, except VW) Also I´ve changed the non-return valve on the fuel line between the fuel filter and the tandem pump. The engine starts on first stroke, only a minimum amount of white smoke and it´s gone almost instantly :) I´m marking this thread as solved.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
My 04 BEW does the same thing when cold. I recently had glow plug recall performed and figured this would have solved this issue but alas no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts