VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty interesting to see Jettas racing. If you get speed channel, it's worth a look. On right now, as of saturday afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks. They are totally stock engines. It'd be nice to have a GTI suspension option on the TDI but eh. The front fasicas are pretty ugly on the TDI cup racers. Ricer big mouth look.

J

·
0 Posts
It looks like the cars are stripped inside. I googled vw tdi cup and one of the first pictures was of a car that lost its bumper. It also had slicks.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
According to winding road, they still get 25 mpg during racing! Not bad considering racing mpg is normally 10.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's really good. The racing was pretty decent. Unlike F1, you couldn't really hear the engines screaming. It was strangely quiet and you just heard the tires screeching.

Yes, they were stock engines but obviously the cars were modified for racing. Some minor bumper action as well, some bumpers hanging off., etc.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Also found it here: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04/27/vw-jetta-tdi-cup-racers-averaging-25-mph-in-racing-conditions/

The activity going here at VIRginia International Raceway this weekend definitely does not qualify as hyper-miling. In fact it is anything but. The thirty young racers competing in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI cup are hustling their cars around this beautiful 3.27 mile long circuit as fast as they can. But they are still doing it in a relatively thrifty manner. The racing Jettas are putting out 170hp which is enough to average over 87mph here. While most race cars get mileage in the single digits and the national fleet average is 20.2mpg the racers are averaging 25mpg running on regular pump ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel. That's good enough to go the entire race weekend without filling up. Starting with the next race at Mosport on May 17-18 the cars will start using B5 biodiesel which is what the production Volkswagen's are certified for. The cars are also running with the same exhaust after-treatment system as the production fifty state legal models. That means every car has a lean NOx trap and diesel particulate filter installed.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's on again today.

PS, although the engines are stock, I meant to say that they are modified but the internals are stock, I think stock turbo as well. 170 hp vs 140 on the street car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, FWIH, 20% more power. This engine really marks the shift towards diesel economy in passenger cars to diesel power in passenger cars. The VWs stressed economy. I think this is the first TDI with an excess of power. And with the probable Audi A4 V6 TDI and the available BMW I6 diesel, diesels may become known as the performance/economy choice, not the pure economy choice. I would like an Audi A4 4 cylinder but I doubt that's going to happen in the US.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts