VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Mark. I just bought my first VW jetta(2006)TDI manual transmisson. So far I love it!! But I have one problem. Was wondering if anyone has a idea what is going on. When I get in the car after it has set overnight. The a/c compressor will not come on. I can turn on and off the button and nothing. Sometimes after driving several miles it will start working, but most of the time I have to stop the car, turn the engine off, then start it back up. Then it will work the rest of the day. Here in Texas, a/c is more than a luxury. I sure would like to figure it out before it gets hotter. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It could be a bad AC compressor. Older models had a valve which could go bad, your valve is internal to the compressor. There is no clutch, the pulley is always spinning, the valve goes bad = no AC. This could explain why it only works after a few miles. I have no idea why turning the engine off would let it work again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next question.

Thanks for the response, is the valve you are talking about connected to the a/c button? Is it electronic? If it is then I wonder if it is connected through a relay that might be going bad. Is that possible?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts