VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the new owner of a small boat, Arvor 215. Its fitted with a VW marine diesel, 100hp:s, 5 cylinders, TDI. Previous owner used it very seldomly.

The engine lacks power and will not rev past approximately 2800 rpms. It has been regularly maintained in a shipyard with changing of filters, oils etc. The guys working in the shipyard seems trustworthy.

I think that the issue is the turbo. The arm from the actuator is difficult to move. With quite a lot of pressure it will move a couple of millimeters. It’s also pulled all the way towards the actuator. I have opened the exhaust part of the turbo and the turbine spins freely.

My questions:
Does my guess regarding the issue seem correct, that the turbo is the problem?
What is the resting mode of the actuator arm, when the engine is shut off?
The turbo is easily accessible in the engine room of the boat. Suggestions regarding DIY solutions?

I'm not a very experienced mechanic but I know how to take things apart and put them back together again and would say that I have a decent understanding on how engines work.

Regards
Kristofer

·
Premium Member
2001 and 2002 Jettas, 02J 5-speeds
28 Posts
I'm the new owner of a small boat, Arvor 215. Its fitted with a VW marine diesel, 100hp:s, 5 cylinders, TDI. Previous owner used it very seldomly.

The engine lacks power and will not rev past approximately 2800 rpms. It has been regularly maintained in a shipyard with changing of filters, oils etc. The guys working in the shipyard seems trustworthy.

I think that the issue is the turbo. The arm from the actuator is difficult to move. With quite a lot of pressure it will move a couple of millimeters. It’s also pulled all the way towards the actuator. I have opened the exhaust part of the turbo and the turbine spins freely.

My questions:
Does my guess regarding the issue seem correct, that the turbo is the problem?
What is the resting mode of the actuator arm, when the engine is shut off?
The turbo is easily accessible in the engine room of the boat. Suggestions regarding DIY solutions?

I'm not a very experienced mechanic but I know how to take things apart and put them back together again and would say that I have a decent understanding on how engines work.

Regards
Kristofer
It could very well be there turbo vanes are stuck. Here's a video for taking an ALH's turbo apart, cleaning it up, and reassembling it:
I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts