VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your link is invalid.

I think one reason why VW is not on that list, is because traditionally, most people that purchase VW's are more skilled drivers and not elderly. Toyota's are one car that are purchased by a lot of elderly drivers and people that just don't know how to drive.

I'm not trying to be prejudice here, but there are clearly some inherently bad drivers from certain ethnic backgrounds. Trust me, I see first hand, being an accident investigator for the past 20+ years.

I've investigated several accidents involving cars that "lurched forward" and not one showed any evidence of a defective or poorly designed vehicle.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'm not trying to be prejudice here, but there are clearly some inherently bad drivers from certain ethnic backgrounds. Trust me, I see first hand, being an accident investigator for the past 20+ years.
My opinion as a layperson is that it is less an ethnic thing and more to do with a long history of driving and conditioning. If you grew up in Antarctica you're conditioned for penguin crossings, not car crossings. If you grew up watching a parent road rage my guess is that the person has a different image of how to react to a situation vs. someone who grew up watching defensive, calm drivers. Because so much of learning is visual and imprinting "learn the first thing you see", both good and bad habits and reactions are passed to the next generation. If someone is coming from a country where cars are rare, they haven't had as much conditioning and opportunity to watch other drivers. But I also believe that a good driver will continue to learn and improve instead of just continuing bad habits from prior learning or conditioning and that is what separates good from bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your link is invalid.

I think one reason why VW is not on that list, is because traditionally, most people that purchase VW's are more skilled drivers and not elderly. Toyota's are one car that are purchased by a lot of elderly drivers and people that just don't know how to drive.

I've investigated several accidents involving cars that "lurched forward" and not one showed any evidence of a defective or poorly designed vehicle.
Age may be a factor, but I note that at least two of the vehicles in the top 20 for UIA are the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Mustang which, I would think have appeal to younger people. Also, quite a few brands had zero reported incidents including Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Mazda and all European cars, except Saab. These cars are sold to a broad cross-section of people.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remember also that Audi had some acceleration issues back in the 80s or 90s -- no doubt there were some lessons learned from that. It may be as simple as their engineers being more aware of acceleration issues & designing systems with that in mind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Age may be a factor, but I note that at least two of the vehicles in the top 20 for UIA are the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Mustang which, I would think have appeal to younger people. Also, quite a few brands had zero reported incidents including Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Mazda and all European cars, except Saab. These cars are sold to a broad cross-section of people.
but the funny thing is, is that I'd qualify all of the "TOP 5" as old people cars, which are the only ones I ever investigated.

and like any statistical research, such as what was reported to NHTSA, they report any such as from a drunk driver claiming that the car got away from him when he smashed into the building, to the 90 year old Alzheimer patient that claims she didn't know what happened. If I were anyone reading this data I would not be worried one bit about sudden acceleration. You're more likely to be involved in a car accident by having a tire blow out...which in and of itself is very rare to happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts