VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add an ipod adapter to my 2006 Jetta but found that my options were limited because my car has the navigation system MFD2.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/vw-ipod-cable-aux-in.htm

Here is everything that I learned about what works with what. The FAQ article is linked from all the applicable buying checklists. It includes a handy chart that lists what radio you have vs. what will work.

Long story short, MDI will only work with RNS 315, RNS 510, or RCD 510. (and RNS310 or RCD310 as Keithuk mentioned, they are Euro only)

1k0051510a will only work with the premium 7 radio in Jetta, Golf, Eos, or Tiguan.

1k0051444 will work in many VW but it may not be compatible with Volk-L bluetooth, satellite, and takes the place of the CD changer. It's also just a CD changer emulator so the capabilities are limited.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:bowdown nice work. Now it would be nice if VW's system was more like the latest systems like the Ford Sync and could read text messages.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops, I forgot about the Euro units. Thanks for the reminder. It's now updated. Base Canadian cars also use the RCD310 radio but they don't get the MDI unless they also order the multimedia package with the RCD510.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added some pictures and description of the ipod armrest type dock 1k0 857 825 e (1k0857825e). I took it apart -who knows, the pics might come in handy if someone wants to hack into the wiring or whatnot.

Also cleaned up the article to help clarify what works with what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After reading your really great article, I have found for my 2006 Jetta setup I could use the
VW ISA adpater for my IPOD, part # 1k0051510a.

My question is, besides the dealer, where can I source this and what is the approximate cost?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an update to this post, I tried the mk5 dock on a mk4 2005 VW Passat with monsoon system. The Passat didn't have a cd changer but it was prewired. The dock was plug-play and sounded great! Functionality was as expected since it was a cd changer emulator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts