VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chuga Chuga Chuga,
Hi all i got a VW Golf 1.9 cl tdi, Manual, 1995 M reg, the car's a tank and indestructable its got me from a-z without a hiccup, but now its started to do just that. The thing is when i start it cold or hot no problems it starts first time, when i rev it up its fine but when i put it in gear and take off calmly it starts to jerk till it gets to a certain high speed then it runs smoothly, but If i take off like a road hog with a wheelspin or two it runs smooth like a you know what.... can anyone help and tell me whats up with my baby! cos i am totally :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
One common problem on that generation of cars, at least on the TDI engines sold in North America, was a cracked intake hose. Try visually inspecting all the rubber intake hoses for cracks and loose hose clamps. Check the backside of the hoses because the one near the EGR is exposed to more heat and can crack. The jerking could be a boost leak. If you still can't find any leaks, do a boost leak test. There's a writeup in the FAQ on how to do it. If no improvement, check the writeup on limp mode diagnosis, there are a few possible causes of jerking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chittychittybangbang you was spot-on on the jerking issue, it was the intake hoses both of them had hair line cracks on the underside, regards Roger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts