VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just changed the fuel filter on my MK6 Golf TDI but cannot get it to start now.

It started up first time and then coughed and died. Now it won't start at all.

I've tried using OBDeleven to fill the filter with no success. I can hear the pump going whilst sat in the car but the car still won't start. Don't want to crank it much more in case the high pressure pump is damaged.

Does anyone have any advice on how to sort this out? Either by using OBDeleven or some other means?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have essentially followed all of these instructions. However, I've used OBDeleven rather than VCDS. I believe the issue is that OBDeleven cannot run the aux fuel pump in the engine. When I try and test the aux pump, it gives an error.
I've ran the fuel tank pump on and off many times, well over 60 seconds.
If anyone knows how to do this with OBDeleven and not VCDS then I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
You'll probably need to follow the manual procedure for bleeding at the end of the article then. Not sure the lift pump in the tank is going to generate enough pressure to run fuel through the HPFP and injectors. The intermediate pump puts out 1100-1200 psi during the purge whereas the lift pump is only around 50-60 psi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the reply. I may try the manual way and jump the auxiliary pump. is shown below. It says "exited due to reasons of safety". If there are any OBDeleven wizards who can help with this issue, the much appreciated.
For reference the error I get on OBDeleven is

·
Super Moderator
9,339 Posts
You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've just changed the fuel filter on my MK6 Golf TDI but cannot get it to start now.

I've tried using OBDeleven to fill the filter with no success. I can hear the pump going whilst sat in the car but the car still won't start. Don't want to crank it much more in case the high pressure pump is damaged.

Does anyone have any advice on how to sort this out? Either by using OBDeleven or some other means?

I found you have to crank them longer than you think is prudent after a filter change

·
Registered
306 Posts
So before the fuel filter it started fine, so work backwards.
Are there any leaks?

You say you can hear the i tank lift pump?,
If so the filter will fill for sure no doubt about it.

When changing these filters on these cars the normal procedure is to cycle the ignition key 3 times to pressurise the system again via the lift pump, it should then start on crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
So before the fuel filter it started fine, so work backwards.
Are there any leaks?

You say you can hear the i tank lift pump?,
If so the filter will fill for sure no doubt about it.

When changing these filters on these cars the normal procedure is to cycle the ignition key 3 times to pressurise the system again via the lift pump, it should then start on crank.

This is on a MK 6 common rail. None of that will work on it

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi everyone,

Does your obd device cycle both pumps?,

If yes just turn the key to ignition 3 times and it should start.

Otherwise check for leaks in the fuel filter area etc.

The lift pump and the electric one in the engine bay both need to prime and bleed the system, usually done by a obd tool capable.

Can you hear the engine pump working?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts