VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, so i started my car this morning, let it idle for a tiny bit for the oil to warm up, about 2 mins, i hear a moderate loud thud sound, and then more thuds in line with the engine i think but less high in volume, car engine stops on its own, pissing my pants i open the hood of the car, diesel everywhere and the tandem pump blew up, it is around 1cm bent outward, with cracks on the casing of the pump itself near the bolts that hold it against the engine block.

Now what do i do? i haven't dared to try to start the car again, is the crankshaft snapped? what happend??

Please help

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Just my humble opinion (I'm no expert):
Quite weird. I wouldn't start the car (= DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES for non-Brits).
Take off the diesel pump, which is not so difficult and have a look at the damage, try to find cause. You will probably need new diesel pump (+ gaskets etc). If camshaft damaged then new camshaft. If your mileage is not low maybe also 'rocker' covers. Camshaft kits seem fairly easy to get but don't buy the cheapest otherwise you'll be doing it all again soon. There are plenty of instructions online on how to do it - pay attention to exact torques and take your time. If your timing belt has reasonable mileage replace it also while your there. Personally I would download the workshop manual from erwin (cost is about 10€ / hour - plenty of time to download all you need as PDFs if you are with it) - and get the right tools, if only from 3rd party manufacturers. Save yourself loads of dosh, ride a bike in between, and acquire a good 'lifeskill', although the days for diesels are numbered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my humble opinion (I'm no expert):
Quite weird. I wouldn't start the car (= DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES for non-Brits).
Take off the diesel pump, which is not so difficult and have a look at the damage, try to find cause. You will probably need new diesel pump (+ gaskets etc). If camshaft damaged then new camshaft. If your mileage is not low maybe also 'rocker' covers. Camshaft kits seem fairly easy to get but don't buy the cheapest otherwise you'll be doing it all again soon. There are plenty of instructions online on how to do it - pay attention to exact torques and take your time. If your timing belt has reasonable mileage replace it also while your there. Personally I would download the workshop manual from erwin (cost is about 10€ / hour - plenty of time to download all you need as PDFs if you are with it) - and get the right tools, if only from 3rd party manufacturers. Save yourself loads of dosh, ride a bike in between, and acquire a good 'lifeskill', although the days for diesels are numbered.
Thank you Peter, this gave me hope. Will update underway taking off the rocker cover now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reusing that camshaft would be asking for trouble. It might work, but might grenade the new pump and do even more damage.

You should also hone or replace that camshaft bearing. That's a pretty good nick in it. It also looks like the mounting surface on the cylinder head may have a bit of a raised lip which would need to be milled off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reusing that camshaft would be asking for trouble. It might work, but might grenade the new pump and do even more damage.

You should also hone or replace that camshaft bearing. That's a pretty good nick in it. It also looks like the mounting surface on the cylinder head may have a bit of a raised lip which would need to be milled off.
Already bought a new cam, lifters, bearings, tandem pump, valve cover gasket and all tty bolts. Also going to replace the whole tb assembley eventhough it has only gone 17k km on that belt. rollers, belt, tensioner, waterpump etc. Engine didn't end up skipping timing, checked a few days ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Wouldnt you think it's enough to sand the part of the lip that is sticking out? Don't wanna take the head off if nothing inside is bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts