VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've a 2000 VW Golf TDI.

Of late I've had issues when I put the key in the "immobiliser activated" alarm comes on... but still allows me to crank the engine and it stays on. Then the yellow key and car flashes.

It still allows me to drive and doesn't stop the engine but the light continues to flash for the duration of the drive (is well annoying). The immobiliser activated beep and screen display thing only does this twice then stops, its just the yellow immobiliser light that remains.

I did try a blast of WD40 in the ignition which doesn't seem to have helped. What I do find is if I take the key out turn it round the other way and insert the key it starts fine without the immobiliser issues, but only sometimes. Its like it takes time to register the key being in the ignition.

I did recently have the batteries replaced in my key fob (separate issue I know but just to give all the info).

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
WD-40 for lock cylinders is bad because it can gum up the internals. It might wash away the dirt though. The preferred lubricant for lock cylinder is graphite.

The batteries being replaced is not causing the problem. If you look through the mk4 key FAQ pictures you'll see that the immobilizer chip is on the other half of the key.

If turning the key around fixes it it's most likely an ignition coil antenna problem. The range of the immobilizer chip is 1-3" so turning the key shouldn't normally change anything. Have the car scanned for codes before replacing anything to confirm the diagnosis or find any other problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I am having the same problem on my vw golf 1.9 tdi 02 car is running fine but the immobilser activated light come on when you start the can the yellow light flashes on screen can someone help me please

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Thing

I have the same thing mk4 golf even tried to reprogramme the keys with a vag-com
and change ignition switch
Had the cluster check out by www.bba-reman.com but N.F.F
They say some learning takes place, I don't understand how but you should leave ignition on for 20mins before starting after changing cluster, this may apply to other changes in the cluster
Also disconnecting both battery terminal leads from the battery and shorting the wire terminals together for 60 secs to discharge capacitors
Best to cover the battery terminal with some non conductive materials
If you have done it correctly the radio will require its code if not try again
Still searching for answer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts