VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a VW Golf 6 1.6 TDI with a manual transmissin.

Now with the cold days below 3 or 2 Degrees Celcius the engine coolant temperature does not warm up and sometimes even cools down. From my previous cars I have always had to change the Thermostat but I have not found anyone here or on Google who has had the same issue, when I called the dealer they said it does not happen with this engine that the thermostat fails, since I am not finding anything online either I am starting to wonder that it can be something else.

No check engine lights are coming up either.

symptoms are:

When outside temperature is below 2.0 degrees C the engine does not warm up properly, oil temperature in dashboard can show 70 or 80 degrees, coolant temperature sometimes does go all the way up to 90 but then it drops again at a stand still.

Any thoughts? has anyone had the same symptoms at all with this particular engine? I have read on other forums about the 2.0 tdi where similar symptoms popped up but it seems that for these vehicles it was a DSG thermostat. My car is a Manual transmission so I am starting to wonder if I am missing something else. fuel consumption also gone up with this weather since it is barely warming up. coolant levels are from what I can see normal and not too high or too low, both checked on a cold and warm engine.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,230 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The thermostats tend to be fairly reliable, but they do go bad from time to time... I'd change it...

Yuri

1 - 3 of 3 Posts