VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link to the history of this clean diesel engine. I would like to read about if this engine is derived from an earlier version engine or is it a new design.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's derived from earlier VW 4 cylinder engines. The fuel injection system is all new. Look through this FAQ for some info on the fuel injection system: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/pumpedusedesc.htm

Some other major differences vs. earlier TDI engines: use of a DPF and NOx system, new engine management, added a balance shaft.

I believe that VW is transitioning over to a new family of 4 cylinder engines but I don't recall the details. I do remember that it's currently only gas engines so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and link. I had read thru this earlier. I was looking for more details.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What kind of details? Details on this family of engines? Details on common rail fuel injection? History of TDI? Or just the history of the 2.0L CBEA engine?

The CBEA is a development of an earlier Euro only common rail engine. The CBEA was all new to North America and I'm pretty sure worldwide for 2009. The current engine is the CJAA. There are a few small differences but from what I can see, nothing functional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts