VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals.

I've just seen then VW Car Care Tips. now I know they are only basic and nayone on here should know these but I thought they were quite funny watching the girl change the tyre on a Jetta. She was pulling the nut lug wrench (wheel brace). ;)

Car Care Tips

·
Registered
78 Posts
She made a serious safety error. Never put your hand on top of the tire if it's only resting on a jack. If the jack slips the car will fall a lot faster than your hand can move and your hand will get crushed between the tire and the fender. I've seen it happen before. She should have used the wheel hangers that are in the tool kit to make removal and installation of the spare tire easier too.

She tightened the wheels using her arms too. She should have used her legs. I'm sure that her legs are a lot stronger and a better lever than her arms.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She should have used the wheel hangers that are in the tool kit
I can't say that I've seen any wheel hangs in my tool kit. In fact I never heard the term wheel hangers in the UK.

Google brings up
How To Properly Use A Wheel Hanger Guide Tool

Yes the operation is flawed. She could have undone the wheel bolts easier if she had used her foot on the wrench. Thats why I said the videos are funny. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Nice tip, BillK. I've seen this happen online.

Keithuk: Really? US cars have wheel hangers in the tool kit. I was going to post a review of something I bought but since it came up, it looks like this. VW Touareg have longer aluminum ones. My plastic one broke from frequent use so I bought one off ebay. I noticed it has shorter threads than the OEM plastic or oem aluminum one. ECS tuning sells a really nice one with long threads but it was more expensive and I don't work at a tire shop, I just need something that won't break. The aluminum should give before the wheel hub gets damaged if it causes a problem too.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers chitty you learn something everyday. ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you stick your fingers in the spokes they could get twisted and snapped off too. So stick your least used fingers ;) Those videos obviously aren't made by their mechanics. I'm surprised they don't have more disclaimers since it's so easy for the widowmaker to tip over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts