VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 BEW engine blew up at 135K miles. I've had the car about three years and, being a retired home-body, I don't drive it much. I bought it from someone who had maintained it well and, aside from maybe missing my last oil change by 5k miles, I have maintained the oil changes OK. I sent it to a mechanic to replace the engine with an low mileage used one...when starting to install the engine he called me to tell me the turbo was toast and apparently the breakup of the turbo and its being sucked into the engine is what led to the engine failure...so we're ordering a turbo and the engine and turbo will be replaced and hopefully my baby will be back soon...

My question is, what could have led to the turbo failure...I initially thought that a failure of the timing belt was the problem, since I don't think it had been replaced and it probably should have been (at about 75K miles???). But is it possible that the timing belt failed first, and that toasted the turbo and engine or did the turbo likely fail by itself and lead to the engine's demise?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts