VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys and Girls,

This can be the definitive thread to how to fix the 2.0 TDI BMN / BKD engine judders / misfires at idle. Because I am so frustrated with this problem, I am going to find a solution!!!!!
The Car: Golf v 2.0 tdi GT 170 BMN engine

For the last several months I have suffered from the common judder /misfire / strange idle problem.

VW diagnosed this problem as a Dual mass flywheel malfunction. However the car was still driveable so I thought I would just live with it.

My mpg has got so bad recently that it thought it was time to get it sorted.
A new DMF, and guess what, the problem is still there. I currently cannot achieve better than 31 mpg.

VCDS measuring blocks show that injector 3’s flow rate is completely off compared to the others so this is my next point of call.
I am going to remove the injectors and get them all tested / serviced if needed than with new seals re-install them.
I need your help though people.

Has anyone got access / a copy of the correct repair manual for this BMN engine regarding the injectors and the cam timing (which, after the injectors is my next step)???

Russ

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone provide any clarification On whether the 2.0l injectors require setting up? Dial Guage etc.

Also part numbers of the injectors being W03G130073MX and the revised harness being 03G971033M

Russ
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
2 Posts
BKD problems

hi guys new member here, ive been working on a 2006 audi a3 2 litre tdi with the bkd engine code, the vehicle had been diagnosed by an audi main agents as cylinder 3 missfire detected after it was towed to them following a severe cut out and non start problem on the motorway, the main dealer then went through the process of swapping injectors around, checking ecu signals and replacing wiring looms in the head, none of this work and they advised the customer that the cylinder head needed removing and replacing due to a possible cracked fuel rail, the car has done 110k miles, i then get the enviable job of buying a recon cylinder head from the main agents (complete with new cams, valves, tappets etc) at a cost of £1000 rebuilding the engine and having a vehicle that still missfires and comes up with a cylinder 3 missfire detected even after swapping injectors around and replacing the wiring loom in the head for a modified one, can anybody possibly shine a bit of light on this problem as i dont want to go down the road of buying £500 injectors especially when i think maybe it may just be the set up of the injectors? any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would say that it could have camshaft wear but you've already taken it apart and that would have been noticed if it were the cause.

One possibility: the anti shudder valve (air throttle) has plastic gears which have stripped. If you inspect the unit and find stripped teeth you found the problem. Obviously, air cutting out could have caused this. Otherwise it sounds like a wiring, sensor, or ECU problem. Codes would help diagnose this problem because most of the sensors will throw an implausible code if they're out of range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
update

ok, have left the car running this morning after setting the injectors up, smoked and missfired like an old train but as it got warmer the smoke began to clear and engine began to run on all 4 cylinders, the only codes that have ever been present have been cylinder number 3 missfire detected and cylinder number 3 glow plug electrical fault, these codes have been present before the new cylinder head being fitted and the new wiring loom and are still coming up now, its a proper head scratcher this one, once its warm it seems 90% better, i would love to find someone who can test these pd injectors coz im convinced its one of them, does anybody know any one who tests em??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,
Just thought i would give you an update since my last post...

Next visit to vw "Sorry sir your car is POSSIBLY sufferring from low compression to cylinder 3"

Not that they had a mechanical compression tester and according to a friend (audi Tech) a mechanical compression testing kit for the 2.0 tdi pd bmn and bkd engines is not yet available.

How Technically incompetant can these "mechanics" be?

My car has almost hit the 110k mark and a little while ago i triggerred a fault code on vcds.

Searched the rosstech wiki but from what i remember there was zero matches.

I gave the car to another vw dealer 13 days ago.

Since then they have:-

* Removed sump to check a "balance shaft"
* Changed maf
* Changed Injector wiring loom.

Called me to say that they had fixed the car and to collect.
20 mins later called again to apologise and inform me that the car is not fixed and that the problem had returned.

* Removed the injectors and found that on injector 3 there was either a heat spot or scoring to the injector.

They now think that my cylinder head is the cause and say they want £4372.29 + vat:laugh::laugh:

this is just ridiculous. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you have the PD 170 BMN Siemens pizeo injector, it would seem that it has failed as they are want to do. Search the Seat UK or Audi.net forums over your way, there are a LOT of unhappy pizeo customers, me being one of them over here in Australia. My BMN TDI is about the only one I know that hasn't failed yet, via the usual loom / injector short to ground problem inherent in this design. A search on Siemens injector failure will bring up my threads and a lot of info mainly from the UK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi people i to have recently bought a 2.0 TDi BKD and twice ive had it just suddenly cut out on me, im pretty sure it IS the injector/wiring loom. how do i go about finding out with my car is due this recall. i rang a few audis in the centre location book but no one at audi will tell me, its always "leave your reg and number with us and someone will get back to you" im assuming audi are fully awarre of what the problem is but would obviously rather me pay £2000+ to sort it rather than paying for what they obviously know its a known fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Gtruss, have you fixed your No.3 cylinder misfire issue? I recently had the same issue with BKD engine, I checked the head and injectors, can't sort out. Only thing I know is the No.3 inlet port has diesel come out when engine runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys.

Has anyone actually solved this problem yet? I've got a 2006 VW Golf 140 TDi (BKD). I had the DMF changed last year therefore I'm faily certain that MY rough idle and mis-fire problems aren't down to that.

When cold, the car bounces and jerks like crazy when at around 1,000 - 2,000rpm with light throttle and if put into 'N' at stand-still, the engine wobbles like hell.

Putting it into 'D' at stand-still and full throttle when moving and the problem isn't there and I get a nice smooth pull. At standstill the engine does "dip" as if about to cut out but then the anti-stall kicks in. If it's a hot day and the AC is on full whack it does sometimes cut out completely when idling.

When the engine is warm is 90% better, with the occasional jerk when cruising round a slow corner or roundabout with partial throttle. At standstill it seems to bounce much less in 'N' too.

Unfortunately something seems to crop regularly that robs me of funds to investigate properly (tyres, brakes and now a bearing). My Googling has led me to think it's the injector wiring loom (well that's mainly because it's cheaper than a new injector/injectors!!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys.

Has anyone actually solved this problem yet? I've got a 2006 VW Golf 140 TDi (BKD). I had the DMF changed last year therefore I'm faily certain that MY rough idle and mis-fire problems aren't down to that.

When cold, the car bounces and jerks like crazy when at around 1,000 - 2,000rpm with light throttle and if put into 'N' at stand-still, the engine wobbles like hell.

Putting it into 'D' at stand-still and full throttle when moving and the problem isn't there and I get a nice smooth pull. At standstill the engine does "dip" as if about to cut out but then the anti-stall kicks in. If it's a hot day and the AC is on full whack it does sometimes cut out completely when idling.

When the engine is warm is 90% better, with the occasional jerk when cruising round a slow corner or roundabout with partial throttle. At standstill it seems to bounce much less in 'N' too.

Unfortunately something seems to crop regularly that robs me of funds to investigate properly (tyres, brakes and now a bearing). My Googling has led me to think it's the injector wiring loom (well that's mainly because it's cheaper than a new injector/injectors!!)
Did you solve this problem, I have a bkd 140 & it was juddering & running rough mainly on tick-over, After reading much info i decided to check the torsion values with vcds, it was -3.9 & most say it should be closer to 0.0, so i made the adjustment & at the mo its -0.50 & running much better!, you do have to use vcds & adjust both cams, the inlet (front) cam first & when about right adjust the rear to match, sounds difficult but fairly easy if you read up on torsion value, the car was vw maintained prior & had a cambelt change at vw 11k ago, not owning the car at the time i don't know if it started after the change but a lot of people connect the two as the start, local vw say its all down to the mechanic as a minute adjustment error can easily make a difference, just a thought!!.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Naa unfortunately still the same, re-checked all timing with vag tools & set with crank locker & cam pins, torsion at -2.9, nipped front cam forward with pins in & now at -1.9 so left it at that, tried everything i could but to no avail, just changed both temp sensors on engine ( r/h rear of head & front half way down engine thermostat area but still the same (tried that as some say its cured there's), running 2nd tank of premium fuel but not expecting any change, i'm sure it can be temp sorted with bg244 additive (sold on ebay) but once tank full used it will most likely return, not going down injector or loom as i'm not throwing good money away, So it looks like its just put up with it i guess?, (local vw dealer has a mechanic whose car is the same & after trying almost everything he's given up).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you got a video of yours doing it?

Have a look at mine on youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/user/amk2vr6

However, I have a few more problems though. Mine shows injector 3 deviation on vagcom, and the misfire at idle comes and goes, also smoke and strong eye watering diesel smell also comes and goes at idle.
There is also a MASSIVE stutter between 2-3k revs. It also cut out the other day and wouldn't restart, and was showing problems with cylinder one.

I'm stuck now!

For anyone interested my full documented thread is on Briskoda here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314355-ku57-mlz-injector-issues-i-think-no-fault-codes-misfirehesitation-and-intermittent-smoke-pic-heavy/

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No not done vid, yours doesn't seem to have the famous bkd rough/rocking idle though unless it was ticking over to fast (usually worse at 840/860 ish), you can see the whole engine 'rocking' & is very common, have tou checked if your fuel is clean in the derv filter?, common to be black with oil or soot apparently (tandem pump or injector seals), you have similar smoke to that i had with my vx cdti (had two injectors re con & all ok now), but i have No smoke with my golf bkd whatsoever! (rr tested running at 165bhp with NO smoke so must be good map), Iwould check fuel as suggested & then maybe just do the injector thats dud thats what i did (no point re con injectors that are running ok!), i spoke with darkside developments today & they suggested maybe changing the fuel temp sendor/sensor. i will clean the maf aswell, there's a map/boost sensor i will try to get at aswell its low down to the left underside in the intercooler piping apparently?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I've checked its not that bad.

I've also changed the injector for a different one and although is a little better its still the same!

Have a look at the thread and tell me what you think?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314355-ku57-mlz-injector-issues-i-think-no-fault-codes-misfirehesitation-and-intermittent-smoke-pic-heavy/

I messed the links to the pics up, so readded them on the last page.

I might give darkside a call if they are willing to have a quick chat on the phone? My mate works for the company that recon's their injectors actually. Its a £50k machine! I can get the full set reconned for £100, but I have a feeling its something else up with mine the way the smoke/smell/juddering comes and goes, and the way the injector values come in and out.
I'm hoping its a sensor giving duff values that is not flagging a code on vagcom, but tracing it is proving hard work!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts