VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approaching oil change. Usually buy straight from the dealer Castrol Edge Professional LL3 but while looking around on internet I saw a couple of sites stating Volkswagen has dropped their exclusive agreement with Castrol and now offers their own branded, officially approved motor oil.

Time to change? Amsoil or Liqui Moly?
If anyone can confirm and share thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And they switched to 0W30 also..... this is odd. Why now?
I know Pennzoil offered a 0W30 507 00 approved oil but what's the advantage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so from searching around the web: Volkswagen ditched Castrol and is now using Mobil 1 (Exxonmobil).
0w30 is just for better protection in extreme cold environment but offers same protection during summer months.
Price should stay unchanged at the dealer.

On a side note, here is an interesting choice when looking for VW 507 00 oil for Canadians:

MotoMaster OEPLUS European 0W30 Premium Synthetic Engine Oil

I looked at the MSDS and this is a rebranded Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3. It's made in Germany and uses between 70% and 90% Fischer-Tropsch distillates (GTL). Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX which is also made by Shell uses 50-70% of the same distillates. Both oils have additives and highly refined mineral oil (diluent) added to the blend.
Looks like a pretty decent product for the price and the availability (Canadian Tire).
What do you think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to go with Volkswagen OEM 0W30 for my oil change. I'll try it out for the winter.
OEM oil filter is Mann this time instead of Purflux.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use to get my 5w30 Castrol edge from local VW until they tried selling me 0w30 one day wich was still ok to use. but i wanted 5w30 ended up getting synthetic 5w30 Liqui Moly Top Tec 507.00 spec oil & buying a MANN oil filter now its all i use.

Reactions: DaddyWagon14
1 - 5 of 5 Posts