VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I phoned the dealership today and asked what size my front and rear rotors size.
The front ones are 288 and rear is 272I thought the rear is 260..what i said and thats the size they gave me i gave them my vin number as well..so is this right and where do can i get some thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
No idea, where did you get the idea they're 260 and not 272? Have you tried a motor factors/aftermarket carparts supplier? They quite often give me better results than the dealer, my new local dealer is useless at getting stuff, vin no, reg number, make and model, engine size etc, I give them all this info and they still suck.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I just realized that the brake article didn't have the rotor size. It's been added.

The fronts are 288 and the rears are 260. If you have the cup edition, the fronts are 312 and the rears are 286.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Having a quick google I've found 258, 260 and 286mm rotors/discs for the rear of a 2010 jetta, time for the measuring tape or a ruler.:)

Just nipped in there before me lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would the 'cup editions' brakes (rotors etc) be a bolt on mod for the non cup cars?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The cup edition brakes is all direct bolt on. Having said that, you need the larger spindles and red paint.

In other words, unlike the mk4 cars, your brakes can use a bolt-on larger carrier to fit the larger rotor. The actual calipers are the same except red. You might need new dust shields, worst case, trim them and bend them back a little bit.

The brake lines should fit.

I would also recommend 2 piece rotors. See the brake FAQ for more on this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm They are expensive but it'll reduce unsprung weight quite a bit and it's much cheaper than lighter wheels.

Here is a FAQ article on the brake rotors and other differences on the TDI cup edition/thunderbunny cars. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/jetta-tdi-cup-edition-thunderbunny-conversion.htm It's not yet finished so use at your own risk :). It's mostly just a listing of part numbers and whatnot. Refer to the mk5 2009-2010 jetta buying guide for close up pics of the tdi cup edition and brakes. 17" wheels will fit over them as long as their offset is correct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 2009 sportwagen came with 312mm fronts & 260mm rears. So the fronts were already a gti/gli/tdi cup, etc size, and rears are base Jetta rotors.. same as what you have. The upgraded rears are 286mm.. as already mentioned. For what it's worth, the stock rear rotors are solid.. not vented. There are very few 286mm rear vented rotor options for the mk5 :(

For the most part there are three sizes of rotors for the mk5.. base golf/jetta sizes, gti/gli sizes, and then R32 sizes. All use the same caliper & pads. The difference is rotor size and the carrier. To upgrade my rears all I did was buy larger rotors, gti spec carriers, and new stretch bolts (rear carrier bolts are stretch bolts). The old carrier bolts off and the new carrier bolts on.. pretty easy, at least an paper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts