VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals

I don't know if any of you use the sidebar gadgets but this is a useful tip if you do not just for weather but currency is disabled as well.

I installed Win7 yesterday on my laptop and the weather gadget said "Service not available." I found no useful solutions on Google.

I didn't like Win7 so I put Vista back and the weather gadget shows the same message, so is it a glitch on the weather system?

I Googled this error but nothing useful came back, all they said was check the region settings which are English (United Kingdom). I typed in London and New York but the service was still unavailable.

Further research it if you click on the link Get more gadgets in add gadgets appears M$ have disabled gadgets as they can be a security problem Microsoft Security Advisory: Vulnerabilities in Gadgets could allow remote code execution

I've searched the web for different weather gadgets and I found Weather Vista Gadget 1.1.0.6 I downloaded it and scanned for virus and malware all clear, I added it to the Windows Sidebar folder opened the gadgets and added the new weather. The old weather is there with the same picture so I unistalled that one. The new one works exactly the same as the old one.

All I can think its bad timing as it worked perfectly on Vista I put Win7 in and an hour later it isn't working, I put Vista back and it still doesn't work.

Additional Note:

If anyone uses Vista or Win7 and you want to remove the arrows from the desktop short-cuts let me know?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
nice find, I used to use the weather gadget but found myself always looking for the extended forecast anyways. I'm using a CPU meter gadget, still works.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am running Win8 on this laptop. It worked great UNTIL it updated to 8.1. It took me a week to get most things working again and I am still having some issues with it. Some sites I need to hit F5 to get them to load and the load indicator will not stop running even on here (Firefox). I read you cannot just undo the update either....... Be glad you can roll back your computer!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Mine is still working spot on and has been since I can remember.

Mine is still workin... oh wait, I just said that :D

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's that on Niel Vista\Win7\Win8.

I've just installed Win7 Pro 32bit and it works as it used to but I have installed another weather gadget one with more details and a battery meter. http://addgadgets.com/weather_meter/

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've added weather gadget from http://addgadgets.com/ which have worked great for along time but one as stopped working. I've tried some from http://win7gadgets.com/weather/ but they have stopped working this week.

There are plenty of weather gadgets available but I like specific location usually UK post codes search which there are very few in existance.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
After reinstalling win 7 my gadgets don't work, tried all the suggested fixes but nothings cured it yet. Not to bothered though as I'm never really on the desk top lol

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I said in post #1 M$ have disabled gadgets because of a security risk, don't know why they can't fix that with all the updates they make you have. The default gadgets work like the Clock and CPU Meter. I like the Battery Meter on my Win7 laptop because you can set wav files to play when the battery drops to 10% or when its charged, I made my own charge battery.wav (if any one wants this?). Win7 Sounds is crap because if I set it to play my charge battery.wav and play with test but doesn't play when the battery is low, click on test and it play.

Its strange the weather gadget has started to work today after been off for a few days.

I don't bother with the Calendar as the time shows the calendar. I don't bother with Currency either its just as quick to Google that. I've added DC Wireless Network Monitor which shows your IP address and Network strength.

offtopic

Another problem I've found is IE11 used to spell check everything you type in forums but thats stopped working for the past couple of weeks. Its still enabled in Manage Add-ons. FireFox spell check still works. I've Googled this problem but I've found no good results.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
All I know is that I HATE windows 8 and the stupid apps. They are forcing a touchscreen-like interface on us. I got a windows 8 laptop and it's nothing but trouble. I have to reset windows explorer often because the start button stops working. I only found this solution because other people have had this issue for years.

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I hated Windows 8 x64 that came with my new laptop. I put up with it for 6 months then I bought a bigger HDD £50 because it was still under warranty and I installed Windows 7 Profressional 32bit because its better for my Visual Basic and its been working pretty good for the past 12 months.

IE11 crashes now and then all reportes are sent to M$ but nothing comes back. I've always liked IE for it features and understandable menu's. I do have FireFox as a backup. The stupid thing with FireFox is that will be updated every few days. Who's software needs updating every few days unless there is problems with it?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IE needs updates too but it's done through windows updates. FF updates are quick and easy enough that it doesn't bother me. Would be nice if it were completely transparent though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts