VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice video. How are they honing the cylinders? I thought you used a brush thing to hone them to a cross hatched pattern.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The video shows a laser but I don't know beyond that. It could be finishing a thin coating on the surface - just a total guess.

I saved the rerun and uploaded it to youtube. The above video is the replacement full version, old video has been deleted.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of note: This basic engine has been in use in Europe in many cars so it should have a decent level of reliability: the Touareg, Phaeton, Audi Q7, Audi A4, Audi a6, Porsche Cayenne, and probably a few others.

However, gas engines with a similar chain system have been getting loose around 100,000 miles. My total guess is that since a diesel runs at lower rpm maybe the chain should last until 150,000 rpm. But a diesel also has lots of vibration so maybe it won't. I don't know the 3.0L TDI engine but Audi and VW plans are to have it in more cars....the probability that the Audi A4 TDI 3.0L quattro will be sold in the US is looking stronger based on interviews with Audi but at this point it's still up in the air.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice video. How are they honing the cylinders? I thought you used a brush thing to hone them to a cross hatched pattern.
I saw another video somewhere of an engine being made and it's the laser. I like how they rotate the block instead of rotating the laser. It's probably a lot easier to rotate the block than the laser.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The video shows a laser but I don't know beyond that. It could be finishing a thin coating on the surface - just a total guess.
I found the answer: The block is made from compacted graphite iron. The cylinder liners are honed normally but they are finished using a UV photon laser. It melts the surface and adds nitrogen to it. It also smoothes and hardens it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts