VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All!

Well, I've searched all over this forum looking for a solution to my problem, but could not find a thread related to what I have going on... So, here goes.

When I start the car and just let it idle, it does so perfectly. However, as soon as I shift into any gear a slight vibration is apparent. The vibration (very subtle vibration) will stop if I shift to neutral or park. If I start driving, the frequency of the vibration increases relative to the increase in rpm.

My guess is that it has it is transmission/torque converter related... Has anybody out there experienced this or a similar problem or does anybody know if this is a common problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Seatman, but my problem isn't a typical torque converter shudder (I'm very familiar with that problem) :). This vibration begins as soon as I put it in gear... Even when stopped and it continues as I accelerate and cruise.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Although I haven't heard of this problem on Jetta, the Passat have an idle vibration that goes away in park and gear. The difference is that it goes away when moving. It's caused by bad axles. I'm not saying that that's your problem, but I am saying it's possible something in the rest of the drivetrain can effect idle. Not sure what would cause this problem you're seeing.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've been thinking about this some more and as this only happens when you put the car in drive, I think this could be engine related maybe, because it only happens as soon as there's load on the engine. Load on the engine is the only difference I can think of between neutral or park and drive and if my limited knowledge of automatics serves me right, there's no direct, mechanical link between the engine and box. It might be worth putting some sort of injector cleaner through the fuel system as maybe one of the injectors is underperforming. I'm no guru but I'm trying to use a bit of logic and I like a challenge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts