VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some great advice on TDIClub, but wanted to survey the opinions here about storing my car for two months during the summer in my So. Cal. garage.

I'm not too concerned about the fuel or battery(fill up and disconnect), but i'm wondering about the rotors rusting up. Do they build a light coat only, or will the rust progress over time? I've noticed them rust up pretty quickly after a rain or car washing.

Also critters. I've never seen evidence of mice or birds in my garage, so I'm wondering if I need to cover the exhaust and intake points of entry.

I plan on a wash/wax and put about 40 - 42 psi in the tires.

Am I missing much?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's out of the rain the rotors won't rust much. I'll let a car sit in the garage all winter and it will have a few specks of rust from the moisture but that's it.

Mice are a concern. The snowscreen blocks mice nests in the intake but they can get under the engine cover and chew wires. It would be rare for them to crawl into the exhaust because of the angle.

A splash of diesel fuel additives wouldn't hurt but I'm not sure if it works the same way as gas storage additives.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you checking up on it weekly or are you not touching it for two months? Any rust will be ground off the rotors the first time you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Surface rust on the rotors is, as others have noted, a non-issue. I would only worry if you were parking the car after exposing it to road salt, in which case everything needs a through washing prior to storage, especially if it's heated storage.

Two months is not that long. If you were talking 4 or more, I'd do an oil change just prior to parking it so that corrosion inhibitors were at the max. (This would be the only reason I can think of to change sooner than 10k miles.)

For longer storage you would be smart to take weight off the tires as well. At 2 months, yours will definitely flat-spot, but not so much that a warmup drive will fail to make them round again [g].

Finally, I'd throw a few mothballs in the engine compartment to discourage rodents. Those little ##@! can wreak havoc with hoses, wiring and the insulation/soundproofing on the underside of the hood.

-dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be on the other coast for six weeks and three days. :(

I read a post titled "long term storage" about having to replace rotors due to rusting everywhere on the rotors accept where the brake disc covers. This may be the case if the car is outside during a Canada winter. :dunno

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 2 months, yours will definitely flat-spot, but not so much that a warmup drive will fail to make them round again [g].

Finally, I'd throw a few mothballs in the engine compartment to discourage rodents. Those little ##@! can wreak havoc with hoses, wiring and the insulation/soundproofing on the underside of the hood.
Will parking on cardboard help with flat-spotting?

I will get the moth balls.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The only way to ensure the tires don't get flat spotted is to support the car with jack stands. It's also better for the springs (they'll support the car for years so 2 months really doesn't make any difference) but the hanging weight isn't great for the suspension bushings since they're happiest in a neutral position. You have to make sure the weight is well distributed at the jack point or else it will bend it. If the floor isn't solid and strong the weight will also damage the floor because the bottom of the jack stands can bite in. A small square of plywood will distribute the weight across the floor and it won't be "slippery" since the weight of a car will clamp it down firmly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A full tank of fuel will keep help prevent the formation of condensation. Also do not use a mouse bait like Decon - It attracts as many mice as it kills.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will parking on cardboard help with flat-spotting?

I will get the moth balls.
I have no idea if cardboard will help, but I sort of doubt it.

However, it's really a non-issue for a two-month rest period. My car often gets left for three or more days without moving and the tires always flat spot a bit. They thump for about a mile (longer in cold weather) and then are fine, with no damage. I wouldn't sweat it.

-dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question

I was talking to the family mechanic today, and he mentioned looking to see if the radio has a security feature that will disable the radio if the battery is disconnected/dies. If that's the case, there should be a description in the manual addressing this.

Although I've not seen any evidence of this in our VW forums, I thought I'd throw that out there for any experiences. I won't get a chance to look at my manual 'til after work.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It shouldn't. It should only activate if it's unplugged and very rarely does it activate because I disconnect batteries on mk4 and newer often. In any case, your owner's manual should have the radio code. If it doesn't, the dealer can give you the code if it's the original radio that came with the car. This is to prevent stolen radios. Some might give it to you anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Listmates

Due to my being posted overseas by my company for 3 months, my 2006 2.0 tdi Golf will have to be stored in our condo's basement garage (concrete walls, floor and ceiling) for 3 months. Temperature will be around 6 to 12°C (Dec - Feb incl.).

Tips for storage? Removing the battery is a no-no as the last time I did this inadvertently, the car's electronics had to be recalibrated at my cost.

Fuel - empty or full? Oil change?

Over to you!

Best regards

Martin F. Slater

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Put the car on a trickle charger, full tank prevents condensation (water), oil change before storage. Honestly though 3 months isn't too long except for the need for a battery charger.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
A user on another forum was asking about one of these solar powered trickle chargers because he doesn't use his for 2-3 months at a time. Thats a thought is you don't have power near the car or don't fancy leaving a power lead plugged in for a few days.

Solar-Powered 12V 4.8W Battery Charger

The discs will go rusty when damp if it rains in the morning when I go home at night the discs are rusty in one day. Its generally surface rust which should polish off after a few brake applications.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are worried about rusting rotors, just spray the rotors and pads with WD-40. I have used it for 10 winters. My vehicles stay 5 months in a non heated pole barn. Previous to the WD-40 I had to skid one wheel out on to the main road before it broke loose. It does not effect the stopping when removing from storage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts