VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals.

How about we have a VCDS/VAG-COM section on here. I know we have [email protected] and Dana @ Ross-Tech members on here so they will help out I'm sure.

This equipment is used in all the other sections on here, VW MK6 TDI,VW MK5 and Audi A3 TDI, Audi Q7 TDI and VW Touareg TDI, VW MK4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI, VW MK3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels and Other automotive general/technical.

Not so much about problems but which equipment does what on which models? Obviously the problems can have a sub section. What are your thoughts? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought about it but unless it becomes very popular, there won't be a subform for VCDS because these topics may be of interest to viewers. The advantage of sub forums is that it lets topics get their own section. The problem with too many sub forums is that it isolates posts from being viewed.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think its one of those things you don't know how popular it is until its there. At the moment you have to search all sections for the obvious is VCDS or VAG-COM but people call this tool all sorts of things. There are 207 pages with VCDS and and none for VAG-COM and VAG.COM. If you Google for VAG-COM there are 3.5 million links but VCDS 8.5 million is part of video discs unless you narrow it down "VCDS" 500k.

We have a sticky Mk6 Golf - VAG Com Tricks on my normal forum which as only been there 12 months and there are 4 pages full in there. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vag com

Hello Again,
I for one would be a user of a section dealing with with this. As I, like I think a lot of us out there, look at this as somewhat of a mystery. I suppose it is like any other computer related program when you get used to it, but the problem is finding hands on info to get started. I recently had a new key made for my beetle, [$80.00 cost and I watched him plug the laptop into the car]and I believe he used this program to match the key to the car.
Ken Bohn

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to this VCDS stuff, but I'd sure like to learn more about it.
I already made a post in the General/Technical section ... I'm hoping for some helpful responses.
If you post it ... they will come.
Troy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Keith:
Do you know any of the answers to my recent post in the General/Technical section?
If so ... I'm all ears.
Thanks, Troy

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Troy I don't have a VCDS yet, but I've read you posts thats why I linked you to here. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Vag-Com VCDS Section

Could I add my vote to setting-up a VCDS section/folder.

I took chittychittybangbang's advice and bought the Ross-Tech kit (my wife reckoned that I looked like a kid on Christmas morning the day that it arrived:D). I've been really impressed with it but could use some help/support.

Can't hurt to give it a try:dunno

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats ok the more the merrier.

I think users don't know this tread is here I only add a comment to threads that talk about VCDS. I think most users just look at the section that covers their vehicle and thats it. This thread has been here 3 weeks. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd sure like to see the VCDS posts all in one place too. I just received my cable yesterday, and used it to clear a couple codes from my car. It worked great for that, but I'd like to learn to use it for more.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've just ordered mine 1 hour ago of

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/acatalog/vagcom.html

so I should get it sometime next week hopefully with all the Christmas posts being sent out. I know they are a bit cheaper of Ross-Tech but time you've faft about with exchange rates and the PayPal conversion I prefer to buy from a UK company as I've gotten the know Derek Edwards after corresponding with him for the past 2 weeks with our http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f4/passat-immobilizer-4472/ problem.

I ordered a new battery nearly weeks ago for my laptop but that must be on a slow boat from China. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
....and done!

All topics related to VCDS should be posted here. If the thread diverges too much the relevant posts will be moved here.

The reason why it's put under the general forum twofold: because VCDS topics often apply to multiple generations of cars and because if I start adding too many forums the front page will be too overwhelming.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers Chitty.

It maybe seen more than in site comments/suggestions/corrections but thats only if they look in General Diesel Discussion. I used to link this thread to users that asked about it and they said we never saw that thread. Can't you put a link in the main forums section then users will see it straight off? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts