VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has never been supported, but has always worked. I've only done this with Fedora but I would assume that other Linux systems would be similar. I'm using the RS232 interface. I don't know if the USB interface works with Linux, but it would surprise me if it didn't.

32-bit Fedora does not work for this.

Install 64-bit Fedora, whichever spin you prefer. I like the LXDE spin, but any will do. Install the package "wine."

To allow use of the serial port, add yourself to the "dialout" group. There are a few ways to do this, but I just edit the file /etc/group and add my name at the end of the line specifying the group. You may need to log out and back in after modifying the group.

Original line, specifying no additional users:
dialout:x:18:

Revised line, added a user for my login name "matt:"
dialout:x:18:matt

Download the latest version of VCDS from the Ross Tech site, and run the .EXE. Take all the defaults.
This will leave a link on the desktop. You can double-click this link to start VCDS in the future

Here's a pic of VCDS running on Fedora on my trusty Dell D620. Sorry for the horrible quality.

IMG_20190412_175124.jpg

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hey, fellow Linux user here. Curious if you're using a serial port cable or a usb cable.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

VCDS doesn't work on Linux.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Well, sorry for not having first made the introductory post. As a paid premium member though, I don’t think I’m just looking to “get a free fix”.

Also, I’ve read several accounts of people getting a 100% functioning VCDS setup on Linux using serial port cables. Seems a bit silly to make an absolute statement like, “VCDS doesn’t work on Linux”, in a thread where the OP is showing how VCDS is working on Linux.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Being a Premium Member doesn't mean anything now on this new forum.

Search Linux Ross-Tech forum and read what it says?

As there is no TDI Wiki on here yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts