VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my VCDS and I am learning the software. I was able to activate the comfort window via the remote and then I thought that it would be a good idea to create a 'backup copy' of the coding just in case I stepped on something. I ran the auto-scan function and it output a text file with all of the control modules and a system check of everything on the CAN. Is the line marked "coding" the long coding for each of these module? (I have cut and paste one of the modules below.) Is this a valid method for creating a backup file of the coding in case I trash a value?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Part No SW: 5K0 937 084 G HW: 5K0 937 084 G
Component: BCM PQ35 B 011 0046
Revision: BG011001
Coding: 2F380E3F902F3EC4008800817000004441000086535D0560648020200040
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 364DF38038D7

Part No: 5K1 955 119
Component: Wischer 18021 26 0512
Coding: 009795

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, your part number is also there which can be handy. Paste the auto scan into a .txt file. FYI, as far as I know, you can't screw up the module with the checkboxes. It's when people go off the checkboxes and start manually entering long coding bits that the module can get frozen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't have to paste an Auto-Scan, you can just click [Save] after it has run, and it will go into a nice .txt log for you, and the file name will automatically include the VIN and mileage of the car (if we were able to find these).

-Uwe-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Log Measurements (Custom Template)

Uwe,
Roger, I found that function on the second read thru of the VCDS manual and my third hook up with the car.

With regards to the measurements blocks, can a 'custom template' be built so that I don't have to manually select and construct the measurements I want to log each time?

It would be very cool to be able to build 3 or 4 custom templates that could be used to collect quick data captures, so that you can build a long term maintenance profile for the car. For example, many are worried about the health of the diesel particulate filter system, so an automated custom template that would automatically capture and log key exhaust system parameters (miles since last active DPF regeneration, soot load...) so that you could do quick snapshots every 1,000 miles or so, would be very helpful. That concept could be expanded out to other systems that an owner would like to monitor the long term health of a system so that they could perform condition based maintenance or have a previous signature analysis that they could compare the current readings to when troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
If you change any coding it should save a CodingLog.txt file in the Debug folder this show the original coding and the coding to changed it too. It only save the short coding not the Long Coding.

e.g. Remove seat belt warning.

Address 17:5K6 920 970 E recoded (Long Coding) from 470B00 to 470900 (01357/011/00200) Monday,25,April,2011,15:25:41:21184
I'm sure I've tried to copy and paste the Long Coding number but I can't get it to highlight. Someone on another forum says you can do this.

As you see at the top of that page it says Please write down the original values before attempting to change anything. Incorrect coding can make a Control Module non-functional!

I generally do a screendump using Alt+PrnScr then paste it into Paint and save the pic.

Its a pity Uwe doesn't come around more often as I have a load of questions to ask him about the way VCDS is coded/functions as I programme as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Uwe,
With regards to the measurements blocks, can a 'custom template' be built so that I don't have to manually select and construct the measurements I want to log each time?

It would be very cool to be able to build 3 or 4 custom templates that could be used to collect quick data captures, so that you can build a long term maintenance profile for the car.
That functionality is available in Advanced Measuring Values. See:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/adv-meas-blocks.html

-Uwe-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saving Measured Value Templates

That functionality is available in Advanced Measuring Values. See:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/adv-meas-blocks.html

-Uwe-
Uwe,
Thanks, that was most helpful. In a wealth of information there is a poverty of attention. I read that webpage a few months ago, but I didn't make the connection.

When you save a custom measuring template, can others run the save file from their VCDS? Or is there the potential for the channels to be mapped slightly differently across model years or trim levels?

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
My e-mail address isn't hard to figure out.
True but you must get loads of emails about your products which must bog you down for hours when you have better things to do, so I won't add to that pile.

I wonder why you don't have you own forum that only registered users can read. ilexa have one where I bought my VCDS from that only users that have bought equipment of him can use but its crap and Derek Edwards isn't much use after he's sold you one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you save a custom measuring template, can others run the save file from their VCDS? Or is there the potential for the channels to be mapped slightly differently across model years or trim levels?
Others can use the files; in fact VCDS includes a few generic ones.

As to whether a file you create for your car "works" on someone else's car depends on whether the control modules in question have the same data in the same places. It's not really possible to say yes or no, but a good indication is whether they use the same label file.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
20 Posts
True but you must get loads of emails about your products which must bog you down for hours when you have better things to do, so I won't add to that pile.
No worries; I have ways of dealing with e-mails that I don't feel like answering myself.
I wonder why you don't have you own forum that only registered users can read.
We've thought about this too, and it may happen some day.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uwe,
Roger on the likelihood of the measuring templates working across multiple vehicles, that would give others the ability to run the same template and provide the ability to do a comparison for troubleshooting.

As I have been learning the data channels, I have come across some data channels that are void of data, void of units,...see attached side by side screen shot for an example. The attached file is marked up with some comments. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a configuration issue? I am using a Micro-CAN on a 2011 JSW TDI.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
offtopic2

TDILow3 what do you use to make your PDF files?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As I have been learning the data channels, I have come across some data channels that are void of data, void of units,...see attached side by side screen shot for an example. The attached file is marked up with some comments. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a configuration issue? I am using a Micro-CAN on a 2011 JSW TDI.
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. It's simply that we've not been able to find the meaning of all the data in your ECU ourselves, and we can't document what we don't know. Remember, only the data in green actually comes from the ECU, all the blue "Label" info comes from VCDS.

As to the specific questions raised in the PDF:

What is this value (MVB 105.4)? I don't know.

Why didn't I receive credit for the regeneration cycle? Since the previous two fields are labeled "Emerg. Regenerat", I have to ask what did you do/observe? Did you force an Emergency Regeneration, or did you simply observe a normal one?

Why is Group 106 a blank data set? There have been several revisions of the ECU firmware for the CBE engine family and some of them have moved data from one group to another. In this case, it looks to me as though have labels for data that the particular firmware currently in your ECU simply doesn't produce.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uwe,
For clarity "green" is the Engine Control Unit and "blue" is from the other modules other than the ECU on the vehicle's CAN.

As for the 'known' DPF regeneration cycle, I was driving in a steady state (cruise control set) on a flat straight section of road that I drove regularly. The normal instantaneous MPG for this section of road dithers between 40 and 43 MPG. However, I observed an instantaneous MPG drop from the normal range to 30 to 35 MPG and it lasted for about 5 or so minutes, then the MPG poped back up to the normal MPG range of 40 to 43 MPG. I then reached my destination a few minutes after the normal MPG returned and the engine compartment fans were 'roaring' and the exhaust system was producing the classic metal crackling noise as it cooled down. (The roaring fans and exhaust noises are not typical for the aforementioned route.) I feel very strongly that this was an active regeneration cycle. I have not forced a regeneration cycle, as I don't feel that is prudent unless you get the warning light on the dash.

As you figure out the channels and firmware updates, will the normal periodic VCDS software updates include the updated channel mapping, labels, units...?

***TOPIC SHIFT***
With all of the boost data, exhaust gas temperature...data streaming thru the connector plug, could a bluetooth dongle be created to stream that data to a Droid or iPhone? Many of us are looking for the equivalent of the Banks IQ (http://www.bankspower.com/banksiq) for real time dash mounted instrumentation without drilling holes into the exhaust system, punching thru the fire wall... I have contacted Banks and they explicitly stated the Banks IQ is not designed to pull the turbo or EGT data from a TDI, just the standardized OBDII data streams.

The Edge diesel monitoring system is a Windows based unit, that looks like a good candidate to run a 'VCDS Lite' system to stream the aforementioned data and output a customizable instrumentation cluster. (http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=145&pvk=405&pname=Insight+CTS&pvname=Insight+CTS+(Fits+1996+and+Newer+OBDII-Enabled+Vehicles))

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For clarity "green" is the Engine Control Unit and "blue" is from the other modules other than the ECU on the vehicle's CAN.
Huh? What I meant is the data in the Measuring Blocks screen:

What you seen there in green (in the white fields) is what comes from the car. Everything else (in blue, for example the words "Engine Speed") comes from VCDS.

As for the 'known' DPF regeneration cycle, I was driving in a steady state (cruise control set) on a flat straight section of road that I drove regularly. [...] I feel very strongly that this was an active regeneration cycle. I have not forced a regeneration cycle, as I don't feel that is prudent unless you get the warning light on the dash.
Again, I suspect that MVB 101.4 only tallies "Emergency" or "Forced" regenerations, not normal ones which the ECU performs automatically, even if they are "Active".

As you figure out the channels and firmware updates, will the normal periodic VCDS software updates include the updated channel mapping, labels, units...?
Yes.

With all of the boost data, exhaust gas temperature...data streaming thru the connector plug, could a bluetooth dongle be created to stream that data to a Droid or iPhone?
Your premise is incorrect. Nothing "Streams" from the OBD-II port. Everything must be explicitly requested, each and every time. However, we do have something like that in the works, except it will be Wifi, not Bluetooth.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uwe,
Roger the green values in the white fields are from the car and everything else is the VCDS frame to explain the value/units/data.

Looking forward to your 'in the works...wifi' project/initiative.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
offtopic2
Keithuk,
No PDFPenPro is not free. However, at 1/10 the cost of AdobePro, with upwards of 1/2 the capabilities of AdobePro, I think it is a good deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts