VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up a timing belt change on my 03 jetta tdi and have followed all of this forums directions for this procedure. I am no mechanic but I thought that you normally follow a certain pattern when reinstalling the bolts in the valve cover. I didn't see anything about this in the directions and have searched this website for answers. Hopefully you can tell me how I should proceed with installing the valve cover bolts. Also, should I be concerned with using an elbow on my 5mm socket to reach the 2 hard to reach bolts? Concerned with how this will affect the torque values when using the torque wrench? Make sense?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The elbow will change the torque but it shouldn't leak. Just don't overtighten them. I'm not sure the pattern and I haven't seen a pattern mentioned in the manual. Outer in diagonally should work. These are not bolts that will cause engine failure if they back out a little bit.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Well I don't know this particular engine details but the same procedure would apply to a cylinder head start of in the middle and work your way to the outside diagonally. If some pins are hard to get at then use a universal/elbow joint as stated.

Again the torque setting isn't critical they are just nipped up.

Camshaft cover: 10Nm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts