VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GOLF MK4 ALH TDI (of course)

I read the FAQ about removing the alternator. I've already removed the electrical connections and the two bolts holding it on and it won't budge. It's the Valeo unit as stated in the title.

Am I missing something. I've removed the tensioner pulley and I've unbolted the power steering pump.

Also, Will I have to disconnect some coolant hoses in order to remove the alternator?
Will it slide out and up clearing the oil filter?

Thanks for your input.

- Jaesin

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Does your car not have air conditioning?

If it does, then you need to remove the compressor (disconnecting only the electrical connection, not the "plumbing") - hang it up using a coat hanger... The alternator comes out the bottom (remove the passenger side fan), and you should be able to find a spot or two to pry it away from the mounting bracket.

If your car does indeed not have air conditioning, I'm guessing you remove the p/s pump which is below the alternator... you will need some prying power... a small crow bar should help...

Yuri

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have Air Conditioning but I didn't realize I would have to remove the compressor to get the alternator out.

Is this avoidable?

What a job. eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.. Yeah. I noticed the bracket in the pics look different than mine.

Someone sugested that I hose it down with wd-40 then give it a little pry and that worked for me.

I was able to pull the Veleo Alternator out and up since I already removed the bolts for the power steering pump.

It would have been better to remove the passenger side (US) fan first but I didn't so it was very tight.

putting in a bosch alternator tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

- Jaesin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts