VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 jetta tdi and I need to stop the horn from honking every time i lock the doors. I get home from work at 2am and I am sure the neighbors don't appreciate it. I would also like to be able to do my own dsg fluid changes and whatever else comes up. I was wondering if there is a cheaper option for the cable that will fit my car that I can use with the freeware version

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Unfortunately, the freeware version will not work on your car since all ~2006+ used CAN BUS communication instead of older K line com.

The mini-can and HEX-CAN cable on their site will work on your car. Don't bother buying an ebay cable since those are only for older cars. While they are expensive, the good news is that the software license follows the cable so if you want to sell it, it won't cost you too much to use it for this one thing. I would personally keep it because it's useful for all sorts of things.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
VDCS is the Bomb

Some people consider VDCS the first hop-up for your car. I took that advice when I bought my '11 JSW. I turned the horn lock confirmation off the first time I used VDCS. I have good neighbors and the car is parked right next to their TV room.

VDCS gives you at least two things you wouldn't have without it--the ability to change features to your liking (subject to the hardware you have installed) and the ability to get significant information from your car's electronics that really can't be had any other way.

It's a Windows only program. I bought a cheap netbook to run it and keep that in my car. Ross Tech seems to be a small company that caters to enthusiasts. Sometimes you can find these used, but I've never seen a new one sold at a discount.

Biggest choice is whether you get the cheaper ($250) USB version that only works on newer models (mini CAN), or whether you spend an extra $100 for a version that also works with older cars (HEX CAN). I went with the HEX CAN because I may have a need to hook up to some older cars.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

VAG-COM was renamed in 2008 to VCDS.

Now I've heard of many users on the web saying they what to turn off the horn sounding when they lock their car. This is a feature that mine has never done not that I want it as the flashing indicators is enough.

With the UK models I believe you can turn this feature of in the MFD settings I think its under Convenience - Coming Home? Otherwise you would be better of getting the MicroCan as its the cheapest or go back to the dealer and ask them to turn it off?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts