VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI again
I like DSG –acts fast, 6 gears.... But it feels different compared to conventional automatic. The way it downshifts when slowing down is not usual, especially on low speeds – it does engine break. I guess this is because it uses clutch instead of torque converter, which is good when you accelerate, but does not let car to roll on low RPM in start-stop traffic. The only thing to fight this effect that I found – shifting to “Nâ€: that way RPM drop to idle and car rolls almost without resistance to next red light. BTW, MPG go UP while doing that, instead of going down when in “Dâ€.
Q: is it OK to shift to “N†while slowing down? Can it potentially damage the transmission?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No damage will occur.

Each time you shift the clutch packs do wear a tiny tiny bit. I don't know it's service life and nobody has worn out a DSG transmission from normal use so I don't think it's a factor. Any DSG problems and failures so far are from other causes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the answers, but that makes me to ask another question: what gear is selected if I switch from “N”->”D” BEFORE complete stop. Imagine: traffic slows down, I shift to neutral, glide 200 feet slowing from 50mph to 20mph, and now traffic pick up and I need to accelerate, so I shift back to “D” – will it select:
a) 6-th gear, as it was before I shifted to neutral (will stall the engine I guess)?
b) 1-st gear, as from stop (will push RPM to red zone I guess)?
c) something in the middle that is appropriate?
I hope the answer is (c), but I do not what to make a mistake and find if hard way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
C. The DSG computer mechatronics , sounds like a transformer, takes into account speed, gear, and past behavior and guesses. It can't select B. because the RPM would jump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it worked – it does shift into the right gear at right speed. But there is one problem – shifter got stock in “N” 2 times when at very low speed. Literally, 2 times, when in “N” I could not shift to “D” even with button pressed. I had to stop and only then I could change position to “D”. It acted exactly as “P” – does not let you shift until you apply breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts