VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, because the phone/radio manual is so cryptic and so NOT model-specific (good grief, VW!), I have a few questions that apply to US-version RNS510 Radio (non-nav):

Does anyone know how to adjust the relative volume of the phone Hands free voice prompt? If I'm listening to music (fm, sat or MDI) at a normal level, and then hit the hands-free voice button on the steering wheel, the female voice prompt comes BOOMING OUT deafeningly loud (I.e., "MAIN MENU!!...). Is there a non-vag com way to adjust, or can the dealer even help with this? It's awful. I'm going deaf in my own car.

To boot, when I get the person answering/talking on the speakerphone, I can barely hear them (i.e., call volume is ridiculously low relative to music volume, but folks can hear me fine on the other end, whew), and so then I have to turn volume way, way up. When call is over, i then have to turn volume back down before music comes back on or I go deaf again. So I'm basically looking for a way to 'normalize' the volume levels of a) music, b) screaming voice prompt, and c) whisper quiet folks on a call.

Also, I can't seem to find how to change voice prompts to 'abbreviated' instead of long drawn out instructions. And is there a standard way of assigning user-defined voice tags to selected phone book entries?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You have the RCD 510, the CD is the radio. The RNS 510, NS is the navigation system.

I'm not sure, but when you press a voice prompt and turn the radio volume knob, does it do anything? I know that's how you adjust the nav volume.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I figured this out: On radio head unit press the musical notes (sound quality) button (it's tiny), and adjusted max radio volume slider UP. this makes radio volume higher relative to voice prompt (which you cannot adjust). As far as turning up phone volume relative to radio or voice prompt volume, I just needed to turn up the iPhone volume button.

·
Registered
100 Posts
VW's U.S.-market manuals are really a sad joke, aren't they? There aren't many pages without an error of some kind, and lots of pages that are nothing but errors.

The manual for the RNS-315 that I got with my '11 Golf actually has more coverage for the 510s than the 315...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, that funny, i feel like my Rcd 510 manual has more coverage related to the 310!(ESP around the phone functionality). Maybe we should swap?!

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's really odd. I thought that the 315 was created as a late-model, cheapo alternative to the 510. I wouldn't have expected that it would turn up in the 510 manual...

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, I was just banging around in the coding on my '11 RNS-315 with the VCDS and I found the adjustments for phone volume output, voice prompt volume, and phone microphone sensitivity are all available for adjustment in the #77-Phone controller, in the "adaptation" area...maybe something similar is available on the RCD-510? I know that with the 315, the phone system is separate from, but communicates with, the 315. Is the phone system built into the 510, or separate like mine...and does that matter? IDK...

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, I was just banging around in the coding on my '11 RNS-315 with the VCDS and I found the adjustments for phone volume output, voice prompt volume, and phone microphone sensitivity are all available for adjustment in the #77-Phone controller, in the "adaptation" area...maybe something similar is available on the RCD-510? I know that with the 315, the phone system is separate from, but communicates with, the 315. Is the phone system built into the 510, or separate like mine...and does that matter? IDK...
Where? Can u post screenshots?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry, I don't know how to post screen shots. If you have access to a VCDS, just open the phone controller page and click on "Adaptation". When that window opens, click on the arrow to the right of the empty pull-down box and a long list of adaptable features will appear...phone volume, sensitivity, etc., being among them. Just highlight the one you want and then have at it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts