VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After agreeing to VW settlement VW modified my 2012 TDI Passat in 2017, the care has been in the shop every 3-9 months for DEF system issues. The problem is that there is nothing wrong with the system.

Whats happening is that the current configuration cannot reduce NOx to the specified parameters so it tells the operator theAdBlue needs refilled. The problem is the DEF tank is practically full. Starts shut down countdown at 200 miles. Have to find dealer to clear codes.

As of now they have no fix. They claim it only is happening in colder climates.

Three months ago they replaces NOx cat and sensor and codes triggered. This time they replaced perfectly good injectors that bench tested fine. In other words the just replaced thousands of dollars of working parts under warranty even though a shade tree can tell you it won’t fix it.

2018 VW sent a letter telling us not to drive 80+mph for over 15mins and we should be fine. I don’t I drive 75mph for just over an hour and my dash lights up like it’s Christmas with all the bells.
4th shop visit still no fix. Anyone else have the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nearly 2 years with a dieselgate buy back. 45,000 total miles. Just tripped a P2457 code. Last year the AC evaporator was replaced twice. ABS sensor replaced. Passenger seat airbag sensor replaced. The clear coat peels off in sheets. I was considering trading my 17 STI for the upcoming GolfR. Not now. VW deserves the Consumer Reports low ratings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

After agreeing to VW settlement VW modified my 2012 TDI Passat in 2017, the care has been in the shop every 3-9 months for DEF system issues. The problem is that there is nothing wrong with the system.

Whats happening is that the current configuration cannot reduce NOx to the specified parameters so it tells the operator theAdBlue needs refilled. The problem is the DEF tank is practically full. Starts shut down countdown at 200 miles. Have to find dealer to clear codes.

As of now they have no fix. They claim it only is happening in colder climates.

Three months ago they replaces NOx cat and sensor and codes triggered. This time they replaced perfectly good injectors that bench tested fine. In other words the just replaced thousands of dollars of working parts under warranty even though a shade tree can tell you it won’t fix it.

2018 VW sent a letter telling us not to drive 80+mph for over 15mins and we should be fine. I don’t I drive 75mph for just over an hour and my dash lights up like it’s Christmas with all the bells.
4th shop visit still no fix. Anyone else have the issue?
I had that fixed years ago at Hiley of Arlington in Texas. My guys name is Mo. I tried looking for his email he sent but can't find it. He had to call VW himself and I had to wait like a month or so before it got fixed. VW offered me a rental for the entire time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a nagging problem for a number of 2012-2014 Passat TDIs, mine included. For me, the problem began after the mandated software "fix", which I took in early 2017. Here's the history since:
2017 Apr - NOX sensor replaced
2017 Nov - First instance of 200-mile DEF countdown, code P2047, dealer regens the car but doesn't repair/replace anything
2017 Nov through 2018 Mar - on long trips in cold weather, CEL and 200-mile countdown occurs; DEF is always full. After approx 100 miles countdown ceases and after 2 days CEL disappears.
2017 Dec - Dealer a bit stumped, replaces NOX sensor, no problems for a while, then warmer weather.
2018 Aug - Catalytic converter and NOX sensor replaced after torn boost hose contaminates everything (271k miles on car).
2018 Dec through 2019 Feb - same cold weather behavior as before: 200-mile countdown begins, CEL light on, but car clears it up on its own.
2019 Feb - car fails to clear up on its own, dealer replaces catalytic converter again (fishing for answers?).
2019 Mar - continued CEL/countdown, car doesn't fix itself, dealer has car for over a month and replaces just about everything.
2020 Feb - CEL/countdown returns, codes P0183, P204f, P2201. Dealer tests DEF concentration, 32% is ideal mine was at 36.2% so drained and refilled. Car now has 340K miles.
2020 Mar - COVID, driving now drastically reduced.
Since then, no problems with CEF/countdown and car is over 353K miles. I am just not sure that VW ever figured this out. My conclusion is that the software "fix" introduced incompatibilities in electronic components involved in the DEF system in these Passats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts