VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That's an very general question - how often do you go to the track? Is this a street car only? Does an upgraded suspension mean softer and cushy or rock hard? What is your budget?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the car is my personal car, no track use. I want something sporty but not too hard. Budget is within reason, I'm willing to spend a little as long as it's not the 90th percentile of cost.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Try replacing the F+R struts, strut mounts, front anti-roll bar bushings, and you'll see a marked improvement.

Also consider going with a stiffer front sway (anti-roll) bar and stiffer bushings. It'll do a lot to improve the side-side handling. Shocks do improve the side-side handling, but it doesn't sound like you want to go too hard. Check out tdiparts for struts. VWvortex has a lot of good links for suspension tuning , I don't know much about suspension tuning, it's a real trial-error art.

I would avoid stiff shocks, changing major suspension parts other than the front sway bar and bushings, and shocks. Maybe you can get some low mileage parts off a GTI or GLI? Just remember that the springs are different partly due to the different weight supported by them, it'll turn out slightly differently on a GTI or GLI than on your car. The other parts are mostly the same.

Some people suggest raising the car, I am not a huge fan. It can tighten the suspension and give you more ground clearance but it'll also raise your center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
FWIW, I've read that people suggest the bilsten TC shocks, it supposedly is pretty good on the passat and it firms up the handling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts