VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running 225/45/17,New York roads are killing my tires.i want to go with a taller sidewall anyone gone taller on the 17? I'm installing tiguan springs as well so should have more room

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just changed my 2014 JSW stock tires and 17" wheels to 16" with 205-55/16 tires for the same reason you state. Too soon to tell about handling and ride but I have increased confidence that I won't blow out on the next chuckhole hit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you go up to the next size they will rub on the wheel well when you’re at full lock. Other than that the ride is improved and you get those mm of ground clearance added...
(I have the experience with my ‘11 JSW, it came with 225/55r17s... or maybe 50s? mounted from very nice gentleman at O’Brien’s auto near Utica.)

I ended up getting 16” allutech rims and vredestein super all seasons and I like them much better. (205/55R16)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Btw the tiggy swap is gonna make your ride a lil rougher most likely. That being said you’ll lose your turning clearance before you lose vertical clearance even without the suspension swap. Unless you get rims with wider offset. Also an option.

·
Premium Member
2013 VW JSW TDI, MT
69 Posts
If you go up to the next size they will rub on the wheel well when you’re at full lock. Other than that the ride is improved and you get those mm of ground clearance added...
(I have the experience with my ‘11 JSW, it came with 225/55r17s... or maybe 50s? mounted from very nice gentleman at O’Brien’s auto near Utica.)

I ended up getting 16” allutech rims and vredestein super all seasons and I like them much better. (205/55R16)
Just FYI, on my 2010 JSW I had 205/65/16 and they did not rub under any circumstances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts