VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I love this car but now it's over, the cam's wore out and blew out the head. After reading up on this forum and watching the video I see that this is a design problem. Got a quote for $4000.00 to fix but it will happen again. Wanted to keep this car forever but 178,000 is it. I guess I will tow it home, put money in something else and fix this one later. Never put so much money in a car, $1200 for timing chain, 500.00 towards the fly wheel problem, 250.00 for new ignition switch, there's more but I can't recall at this moment.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
VW's, sadly, I might add, are for people that work on their own cars. Otherwise, you will be in the poorhouse. You should try and hook up with a local TDI guru in your area who would be able to fix your car for much less than the stealership.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
PD based TDI engines (2004-2009) require special VW spec oils to help with camshaft and lifter wear.

yes, this really could be classified as a design problem... as you will find that even people who have used the correct oils since day 1, will experience camshaft/lifter wear at some point in time. unfortunately PD engines have always been a problem with wear on the camshaft.. its caused by the basic design of the PD engine..... interestingly, VW ditched PD for commonrail in 2009. generally...cam wear usually happens after long mileage though... so a change now could keep you going for a while longer...just use the correct oil and keep to maintenance periods and you should be okay for some time.

unfortunately these cars are quite expensive to maintain... but more-so if you take your car to a dealership to get repaired. the dealers are usually ridiculously more expensive compared to 3rd party TDI experienced garages. have a look around, and do some research in your area...you may find a better deal to get it repaired..especially if you try and source the spares online. good luck and all the best :)

more info can be found on PD oils here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/engineoilpump.htm

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input and condolences, the quote I got was from the local guru. I will put my baby in the barn for now and accumulate some tools and start working on it myself. You mentioned spares, did you mean replacement parts? I was told parts would be over $2500. That will take a while.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Thought I would share some pics from my MK5. 298,000 mi. Has original cam and lifters. Got the car from my father who bought it with 40k mi on it. Oil changes have been pretty routine. Oil analysis did show some higher iron content in the oil at 250k mi. Fuel mileage started to drop at 290k mi. Given the drop in mileage I decided to replace the cam. I did notice some accelerated wear on lobes for cylinders 1 and 2, with about .020"-.040" worn of the cam lobes as compared to #3 and #4. There were similar wear patters shown on the bearings, with #1 down to the copper. Wear on # 4 lobes are marginal and within 0.005" of stock. Possibly an oil distribution/starvation problem? I also noticed some accelerated wear on injector #1 too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

After your other post with the same text.

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

1 - 8 of 8 Posts