VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Given the turmoil in the middle east and most especially as relates to Libya, Algeria and Nigeria, where the bulk of the worlds sweet crude oil ( the primary source of ULSD [and gasoline] ) comes from, in the event of a really serious, long term, supply disruption, and (the possibility of ?) this countries lowering of the mandate for the low sulphur variety, is there any way that the TDI engine could be modified to accept a dirtier fuel? Or do we have the ideal vehicle anyway and just tough it out.
Bill :ugh

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You would have to eliminate the DPF and have engine tuning to accommodate this mod. Of course, that would be illegal and increase emissions. It's also the law that only USLD be sold so unless you're in Mexico or have some off road fuel, you won't find it at a retail pump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
" The Sky is Falling, The Sky...."

Chitty,
You might find it at retail pumps if the economy goes so far south that EPA regulations ( laws ) get dropped such that the nations economy might stagger on. If and when we might be reduced to burning oil from Canadian tar sands and other secondary sources ( liquified coal ) the government might have to change it's mind.
What is the DPF ? ( I'm a newbie :eek: ) How major a change would be involved ( in todays $ ) to accomplish something like this, if it were to be possible?
Cheers,
Chicken Little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Given the turmoil in the middle east and most especially as relates to Libya, Algeria and Nigeria, where the bulk of the worlds sweet crude oil ( the primary source of ULSD [and gasoline] ) comes from, in the event of a really serious, long term, supply disruption, and (the possibility of ?) this countries lowering of the mandate for the low sulphur variety, is there any way that the TDI engine could be modified to accept a dirtier fuel? Or do we have the ideal vehicle anyway and just tough it out.
Bill :ugh
1. The bulk of the worlds sweet crude does not come from the middle east at all. Do a Google search for the biggest producers and exporters of fuel, and you'll be surprised to find less than 10% comes from there. The big problem is commodities/futures traders who will use any excuse to drive up prices.

2. ULSD isn't made from different crude, the sulfur is removed in processing.

3. ULSD is required for commercial on-the-road vehicles, thus it's availability is pretty much guaranteed as commerce would come to a standstill without it. What I can't guarantee is the price.

4. Although the price of diesel and gasoline are not linked in any way, they tend to rise and fall in tandem. Since your car uses at least 50% less fuel than a comparable gasser, you're still better off right where you are.

P.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chitty,
You might find it at retail pumps if the economy goes so far south that EPA regulations ( laws ) get dropped such that the nations economy might stagger on. If and when we might be reduced to burning oil from Canadian tar sands and other secondary sources ( liquified coal ) the government might have to change it's mind.
What is the DPF ? ( I'm a newbie :eek: ) How major a change would be involved ( in todays $ ) to accomplish something like this, if it were to be possible?
Cheers,
Chicken Little.
if we get to that point anytime soon, i'll be more worried about the roving bands violent gangs looking for water to steal and people to eat. ; )

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
if we get to that point anytime soon, i'll be more worried about the roving bands violent gangs looking for water to steal and people to eat. ; )
LOL....

blueprintbill, take a look through the FAQ, 1000q. There is an article for DPF on the Jetta-Golf-Sportwagen. There is another article for the Touareg-Passat-Audi Q7 FYI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet Crude Source

Paul G.
Check out 'List of Crude Oil Products - Wikipedia'. This suggests to me that aside from North Sea / Brent Crude ( a rapidly depleting resource ), Libya ( a producer of 10% of the worlds oil ),Nigeria ( and neighboring countries ) and Algeria are indeed major sources of sweet / low sulfur crude. Indeed you can get low sulfur diesel from heavy crude, but refiners prefer sweet because it's easier and less corosive on their infrastructure to produce.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Way too much doomsday prophesizing and armchair commentary & futile hypothesizing (from ONE person) in this thread.

:)

Now that that blunt assessment's out of the way, I consider your scenario unlikely. Even if a shortage comes to pass, we (the US) could STOP exporting diesel to Europe if we had to, right? (Rhetrical, don't bother!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in absolute awe of your ability to sidestep the topic of my post and instead make an issue about a missing 'o' in rhetorical.

More power to you :)
I didn't think you thought it appropriate that I address your 'Topic'.
Which was ???? Too much prophecy on my part ??? Or was it your consideration of the 'unlikely' topic at hand ???

I'm an old guy ( obviously loosing it ) who for 50 years has recognized and advocated, in my own small way, for positive environmental / green / energy issues to little apparent avail. Remember what happened to Jimmy Carter in his sweater installing solar panels on the roof of the White House ? The ignorant and the financial oligarchy ruling this country ( and the world ) chucked him out. Just as easily the EPA and USLD could be done away with.

Oh I know. Off topic. offtopic2 Inappropriate political discussion. :BS Lets just go to Canada, stick our heads in the ( tar ) sands and check out how well the MP3 sounds at x amount of gigabits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Apologies for the confrontational tone - I think we've (*I* have, really) started off on the wrong foot.

Let's try this again. I'm ashu, just bought a JSW TDI because I am disappointed with the path of environmental/green/energy dependence and ignorance that external forces seem to be leading us inexorably down, and wanted to regain control of one small aspect of it. Especially considering I commute 100ish miles 3-4 days a week ;)

I *do* subscribe to your views, see the merit in them, and realize now that you raised a discussion with an exaggerated worse case scenario (hypothetical), that I took overly snappy offense to.

Friends? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ashu,
I'm not sure if mine is an exaggerated worse case scenario or not. Only time will tell.
At my age life seems more and more about survival - mine and my grandchildren. Like you, the TDI is about trying to maintain / regain some small foothold / advantage / protection against what seems like the inexorable advance of peak oil and it's consequences.
Cheers and indeed,
'Friends'.
Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts