VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

First post here, so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I trust the moderator can move it. I think there is a typo in the following howto page:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-Jetta-Golf.htm

Under refilling, it says:

"Once the gear oil comes out of the drain hole (assuming the car is level) or you have added enough gear oil, stop and put the cleaned fill plug back"

Shouldn't that be "fill" hole?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've just read over this DIY - which is great - but am left a little confused. (As usual haha)

I realize an issue with this procedure is that the fill hole rests below the fill level of the tank. However, the DIY mentions replacing the drain hole, filling with 2.1L of oil, replacing the fill hole and then topping off the remainder of the oil. How can one top off the oil if both plugs have been replaced??

Is it missing a step? Should I let one side of the car down to cause the oil to rest toward the opposite side of the tank from the fill hole, funnel the remaining oil in from above and then replace the fill plug?

How crucial is the 2.1L measurement? What happens if there is too little/too much oil in the transmission tank?

Any clarification would be appreciated - thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've just read over this DIY - which is great - but am left a little confused. (As usual haha)

I realize an issue with this procedure is that the fill hole rests below the fill level of the tank. However, the DIY mentions replacing the drain hole, filling with 2.1L of oil, replacing the fill hole and then topping off the remainder of the oil. How can one top off the oil if both plugs have been replaced??

Is it missing a step? Should I let one side of the car down to cause the oil to rest toward the opposite side of the tank from the fill hole, funnel the remaining oil in from above and then replace the fill plug?

How crucial is the 2.1L measurement? What happens if there is too little/too much oil in the transmission tank?

Any clarification would be appreciated - thanks so much!
You have a mk5 car if it's a 2010. This is the mk4 section, different engines/setup. Read this article, you fill through the reverse switch sender hole. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/manual-gear-Oil-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI.htm

·
Registered
70 Posts
So sorry - I forgot to update my info. I have a 2010 Golf TDI and a 2002 Jetta TDI now.

I plan on changing the tranny oil in the 02 this week - any tips on getting it full would be greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am wondering the same thing...i bought my 2002 jetta 2 weeks ago and already did the 100,000 mile TB kit and lost enough power steering fluid i had to order some of the special VW stuff and decided to go ahead and change my trans gear oil too...as soon as i pulled the fill plug out several ounces of oil came out...wondering how it was filled to get the level above the bottom of the fill hole...car is on jack stands and level.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
When warm it'll expand and previous service could have overfilled it slightly by tilting the car or through the reverse switch hole at the top. A hair overfilled is no problem but too high and it'll foam the oil = bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts