VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a noob question, but can I turn the camshaft with a wrench or ratchet, or do I need a special tool? I am going to replace my valve cover and I noticed that in order to do so the cam sensor tabs need to be aligned properly and the only way to do that is to turn the cam.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The best and least stressful way is to turn it at the crankshaft.

If the serp belt is off you can use a wrench to turn the center 18mm bolt ONLY in the tighten direction. Don't do this with the serp belt on because then you're turning the other stuff. The bolt's torque is around 79 ft-lb so it's not going anywhere. The correct way is to use a tool that fits in the holes of the camshaft sprocket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn I just changed the serpentine belt too. It was a pain in the ass because I could ony get one arm in there to put the belt on. I notice the car hesitates some when I stop and take off. It makes an odd notice sorta of like its grunting. To me it sounds almost as if something is clogged, but no CEL has come on. I know the turbo causes lag but I dont think that is my problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transmission was replaced 3-4 years ago. I dont know if the DMF was replaced, but it does make the typical noise a failed one does. Sometimes I get rough shifting not to often though. Mostly when its cold I hear the gears engaging loudly. This feel like and engine problem. It shutters a bit. Its very odd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
better check DMF also. It's my story, when I stared to disassemble for belt and camshaft, I discovered parts of flywheel - just waiting for the parts to came.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts