VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just was thinking about doing a conversion and i dont see why it wouldnt work
lets say a 4stroke diesel with distributer IP, the objective is to make the pump fire on every revolution or everytime the piston is at tdc
if i make the pump turn the same speed as the crank, by using either a smaller ip pulley or bigger crank pulley u only need to modify of use a modified cam to make the intake and exaust open the same time and using a supercharger insted of the turbo u can blow the exaust gases out easily when at idle.
torque would be double with stock components as opposed to doubling by increasing the fuel quantity
whatcha think ?
:thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I wonder what the single overhead cam would look like if you had to modify it to open both intake and exhaust at the same time and twice as often :) I don't think the turbo and engine would like it very much if you just halved the injection pump sprocket. And all TDI are electronically controlled pumps anyways so like you said, you'd have to use a mechanical pump.

And since the custom sprocket runs off the timing belt, where would you get the custom timing belt? Twice as many jerks at the timing belt and less teeth on the sprocket touching the timing belt wouldn't make the timing belt happy either. I think you'd be better off putting a motorcycle engine into a vintage VW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 stroke

shouldnt be that expensive, im sure its possible
only real issue is to get all of the exaust gas out.
all you have to do if u need a different timming belt is to take up the slack

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds very interesting.. I'd love to see some diagrams of how it'd work because if you could achieve this, engines could be made 1/2 the size and weight or twice as powerful for the same (as current) size and weight.

The 6 stroke thing also looks promising but look at the patents going back to 1976 and no commercial applications yet. A real shame as it's a great idea in principle.

Good luck producing a working prototype :thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts