VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but I was not able to find a how to , turbo removal on an ALH, does anyone have any write ups on how to? thanks

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
i think all you have to do is remove the 3 downpipe bolts

then nuts on the manifold, assuming that this is the stock turbo

there are a few vacuum lines. I think you wrote that you deleted the egr cooler so it should go by really quickly.

TDIclub has a .pdf file for turbo removal

if you look at the cylinder head removal article here it has this pic

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the pic, and I did remove the egr cooler, getting to those studs and bolts on the exhust manifold should not be a problem

,,but I hear people talking about that is a pain to remove the oil line, this I do not know where it is, and someone said the you need to grind down a 17 MM wrench to pull it out,, so that is my main concern right now, hope that someone chime in so i could go ahead and install my new 17/22, that I just happened to recieve it today too,

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
here is the return line and some misc pics

there are some more useful pics here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/head_removal.htm

obviously the air intake and outlet piping, there's a support bracket that is 17mm

I don't see how you need to grind down anything unless the larger turbo physically is reducing clearance but from what I understand they're plug-play.

The oil line union always gets twisted and stripped, even if it gets bent a little, discard the oil line. A stubby 17mm wrench worked fine for me. Use another wrench as leverage when moving the stubby wrench.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I might be interested in a turbo upgrade, does the 17/20 use the stock manifold or can you use tubular manifolds with it

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I might be interested in a turbo upgrade, does the 17/20 use the stock manifold or can you use tubular manifolds with it
The 17/22 hybrid comes with its own exhaust manifold, it looks a lot bigger than the VNT-15, and it can resist up to 24 psi boost,, I, I just got my lift pump, 17/22, SBCclutch, OMI, an 11 MM pump,EVO skid plate and in about one week I am going to get my 2.5 DP from PP and my ecu with RC-4-5-6, so I am going to be busy installing all these things.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished doing my first TB in a NB, it was not hard at all,, the problem was that the NB everything is so compact in the engine comparment.

This Saturday I am going to do a TB on my brother's Jetta.,,, and I just started upgrading my Golf, I installed the PD lift pump, now I am going to tackle down the turbo, next is to change the TB and swap the pump to 11MM, cross my finger that there are not special tools when switching ove the IP. happy TDIING

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Good to hear! I read of your issues with the car and I'm glad to see that they have been resolved.

No special tools needed when switching over the IP. A 17mm flare nut wrench would be helpful but you can also take a cheap 6 point wrench and cut a slot into it.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chitty, I got a new TDI 03 engine installed in my car, and it is running great so far, I have a lot of projects going so far, so I will be doing quite of bit of wrenching ahead,, I have not installed the 17/22 turbo because I need to upgrade lower IC pipe, and I am trying to find out where to get that hose and piping,,,which has to be bigger to fit the the 17/22,, so far so good though, I have been reading a lot to tackle down all of these tasks.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all, I was able to change my turbo two weeks ago, the 17/22 is in,, with RC6, I was able to install the 502's nozzles as well, what a difference now, eventhough I have always liked the vnt15, for quick rolls, now when I go past 2nd gear this turbo kicks in and here i come,

Really nice set up, but I also liked the RC3+ with PP520's VNT15 it was a quick set up too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts