VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new and want to view some tech stuff, so here is my post.

Problems encounter with my 2006 Jetta TDI,

1 - The flywheel was falling off.
I was getting a big knock coming from the engine bay, When I was speeding the knocking was getting louder and faster. I drove straight to the dealer and left It there. Thank god It was still under warranty at the time. They had to change the whole clutch and flywheel.

2 - The VNT smart actuator seems to be the problem right now. It's been going on for a while now.
Let say I stop at a red light. When it's time to take off, nothing happen. Give some more gas and the car move really slow and even jerk, then suddenly there it goes and big black cloud comes out of the exhaust. So from what I've been told, it's probably the VNT that is causing the problem.

Today is the day I will try to diagnose it, the reason why I am here to find way to diagnose and fix it.

I was planning on changing the whole turbo but just found the VNT smart actuator on kermatdi. If I can save $$$ why not. Maybe will investe on a Unitronic remap.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would test the VNT actuator before replacing it. I hope you found the article in the FAQ for the ALH engine, the BRM actuator is almost the same but has the smart sensor on it to detect position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chittychittybangbang,

Here is the graph on the computer from the VCDS engine meas. blocks address 11 : You can see that the boost go off the chart.

Hope it means something to someone and can help diagnose the problem. The VNT seem to be fine and moving, so I was thinking that could be the N75 valve that is not working properly?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It could be the vacuum lines, wiring, or computer control of the N75. Boost like that could also be a mechanical problem. See the VNT actuator fAQ to isolate it to the actuator, sticking vanes, or vac lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today's test!!

Ok today's test was :

1st Got someone to start the car for me while I was looking at the VNT arm. As soon as the car fired up the arm start moving. Good sign.

2nd I checked the graph for the MAF and seems like it's not working properly. I ordered a new one.

3rd did an output test in the engine section of the VCDS while the engine is running :

- The first test is the EGR valve, it actually killed the engine.

Is it normal or the engine should keep up and keep running? What does it mean? Is it cause the system is pluged up by carbon buildup including the intake manifold?

That is my next step, cleaning the intake manifold and egr system. But I'm waiting for warmer weather to start doing this.

Does anyone can refer a good chemical to bath the intake in? I would do the pressure washer but I am sure it's making a big mess.

Could the EGR system be the origin of my problems?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
One of the tests will kill the engine, the anti shudder valve one. I forget if that's the same one.

Biodiesel will clean the intake well. Carb cleaner will also work but you have to scrape it mostly clean and let it soak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok today's test was :

1st Got someone to start the car for me while I was looking at the VNT arm. As soon as the car fired up the arm start moving. Good sign.

2nd I checked the graph for the MAF and seems like it's not working properly. I ordered a new one.

3rd did an output test in the engine section of the VCDS while the engine is running :

- The first test is the EGR valve, it actually killed the engine.

Is it normal or the engine should keep up and keep running? What does it mean? Is it cause the system is pluged up by carbon buildup including the intake manifold?

That is my next step, cleaning the intake manifold and egr system. But I'm waiting for warmer weather to start doing this.

Does anyone can refer a good chemical to bath the intake in? I would do the pressure washer but I am sure it's making a big mess.

Could the EGR system be the origin of my problems?

Thank you
I am diagnosing some similar problems on mine. The EGR valve output test on VCDS will kill the engine when you activate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts