VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just experienced a complete loss of power while driving my 2006 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI. Managed to get to the side of the road and shut her down. opened the hood and found the manifold breather tube had popped off and the engine seemed to be excessively hot. I didn't have the time to diagnose the problem myself so had it towed to a local (very good and very trustworthy) diesel mechanic.

After some diagnostics and dropping the exhaust to rule out any obstructions (it starts and runs fine without the turbo) it looks like its definitely a turbo failure. Apparently the pressure caused the breather tube to pop off and explains what it was so hot when I shut it down. My mechanic is going to remove the turbo to have a closer look and will likely send it to a shop in Denver to see if they can be rebuilt it. If not I might need to find a new or rebuilt unit somewhere.

I have been told it could be $500 or it could be $1,200 or more depending on the type of turbo. I will be looking through the forums to see what I can learn but if anyone have any ideas or experience on the subject it would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Which manifold breather tube? If the intake hose pops off it'll cause low power because all the air leaks out the hose.

I don't know why dropping the exhaust would let you bypass the turbo. That would only bypass the exhaust. To bypass the turbo you would have to remove it since the turbo is right off the cylinder head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I lost power I found the intake manifold breather had popped off. It had blown some oil out on top of the engine which caused some smoke. After letting it cool down for a bit I reinserted the intake breather and it would crank but wouldn't start.

My mechanic dropped the exhaust to rule out any exhaust obstructions but I misunderstood his message about how he got it to run. He did not remove the turbo, he removed the oil filler cap and would start. Put the oil filler cap back on and it wouldn't start. I'm not 100% sure but it would seem to indicate a problem with the turbo. Sorry about my confusing first post.

He is going to remove the turbo next week. If the turbo is toast, I'm thinking I might buy a new one rather than spend the same amount or more on a rebuild. I found a new Borg Warner KP39 Turbo at Bora Parts for $883. Seems pretty reasonable unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll update the post as I go. Have a great 4th of July weekend everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to wrap this post up. The old turbo had completely grenaded. The new Borg Warner KP39 turbo was install by my mechanic. Turbo = $833, Labor and misc parts = $550. Also had to replace a failed O2 sensor for another $200. Only place I could find the O2 sensor was at the dealer.

Not sure what caused the turbo to grenade as this car is a commuter and not driven very hard. Could have been the wrong oil as the previous oil change was done at a shop I had never used before. They could have substituted something else and changed me for the good stuff. I guess I'll never know for sure, but lesson learned is that if you aren't changing the oil yourself you had better at least buy the oil yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts