VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for the US of course...

from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125972

INGOLSTADT, Germany — Audi AG on Monday released the details about the first Audi TT TDIs, but the company's U.S. arm confirmed for Inside Line that the U.S. will not be getting the diesel variants of the popular sports car.

Audi had not offered a TDI diesel in the TT before.

"We're not getting it," said Audi of America Spokesman Christian Bokich. "The TT TDI will be a fabulous engine. It will further enhance our image as being a bona fide performance player. But we've only announced the Q7 [diesel] for the U.S. Any diesel we'd want to offer in the U.S. must be 50-state compliant. New York and California have strict emissions [policies], and we have huge markets there. Any diesel strategy would have to include those states. At the moment, though, we've only come out with clean diesel in the 3.0 V6."

Audi will offer a TT Coupe 2.0 TDI Quattro and a TT Roadster 2.0 TDI Quattro. The four-cylinder TDI delivers 170 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque and is linked to a six-speed manual transmission. Audi said average fuel consumption on the engine is 5.3 liters/100 km or 44.4 mpg in the coupe variant. The TT TDI Coupe sprints from zero to 62 mph in 7.5 seconds and has a top speed of 140 mph. Audi said the TT TDI Roadster takes two-tenths of a second longer in the 0-62-mph sprint and has a top speed of 138 mph.

Both models have 16-inch cast alloy wheels as standard.

Audi said the TT TDIs will arrive at European dealerships in the first half of the year. The coupe version starts at the equivalent of $54,250, while the Roadster starts at $55,890.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Of course ! Now if they put the planned sequential mercedes benz twin turbo diesel engine into it we are talking...but an engine similar to the Jetta...

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I think someone might have done that...HPA? rings a bell? does 4wd/4motion conversions, you have to cut the floor pan and reweld it to fit the rear wheel drive parts.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IMO, I'm not sure of the specifics, but it would be a lot easier to take a used Audi TT and put a TDI engine into it then to take an older Jetta and hack it up to put 4motion into it.

The Audi TT already has the 4wd setup (some were FWD but I think they have the correct floorpan).

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
....are they waiting for the V6 TDI in it or is it just me :D
That would be awesome. I think the top of the line TT has a V6 in it, I'm not sure if the turbo and plumbing would fit along with a diesel in the engine though.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
It wouldn't be for the US because not enough people will buy them. It makes more sense in a country where gas costs $8/gal, the US still has relatively cheap gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts