VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a 2010Jetta TDI sedan back in Febuary 2010. When I first purchased it I could push the trunk button on the fob and it would open slowey and rise all the way up. For some reason it barely opens the trunk at all ? Is there a problem with it or has anyone else had a issue with their trunk? Called my Vw dealer and was told "It won't open like it did when it was new" I am still trying to fiqure out that statement????????????????????

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here we go...another dealer delivering another line of BULL. Anyway, that statement might be true if this car was say, 10 years old...but you haven't had it a year. Cold weather will have an effect on the charge of the struts and may reduce performance. I'm not sure what the temperature is where you are but up north it will have a slight effect, but it shouldn't completely hamper the opening of the trunk, especially on new struts. Its possible the gas may have leaked out of one, maybe both of the struts. I would take a look at it and see if anything obviously looks cracked, broken, or loose. Grab onto the struts and other linkage and check for any obvious defects including residue from leaking struts. Manually open and close the trunk to see if anything is binding, operation should be smooth and quiet. A friend of mine has a '10 Jetta TDI as well, purchased a month or two after you. His still opened unassisted last I saw abt a month ago. You may want to bring the car to the dealer (maybe a different one than you called) if you can't find anything, in my experience its more productive to show them the problem than to discuss it on the phone because then they feel more compelled to fix it so they can do a warranty claim and get some $$. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I recently changed the sign up process to require people to list their location. Where are you located? If it's cold it will dampen the operation of the struts. There are a few hinges which could stand lubrication.

2nd on a 1 year old car not being old. The struts take a lot longer to wear out. I was going to try an experiment on my 2006 and replace just the hatch assist springs instead of the struts on my car to see if it makes as much as a difference. I replaced just the struts on a 1996 Audi A4 (they use the same exact hatch design) and it made it harder to close because they struts were more powerful. The point is to see how much the springs help open the trunk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts